Viper low oil consumtion

I wish i wouldve paid attention when my oil pump went out and took out all 3 cylinders and pistons. Not sure if that ir normal for that sled. After my rebuild, i am premixing now as my srx isnt a trail sled, just used for radar runs.

Wow, that not much oil! It will eventually fail if you keep running it like that. Mite be worth mixing your gas 100/1 for now till your sure the problem is fixed.

Last edited:
That's not near enough oil. Mine roughly uses that much in a 100 miles (I've never measured, just an estimated guess from what I have to add to top off every ride).
I'd first check if the cable is pulling the oil pump open all the way when throttle is pushed. If it is and oil cable gap is in the normal range, then I'd be replacing the oil pump.

I wish i wouldve paid attention when my oil pump went out and took out all 3 cylinders and pistons. Not sure if that ir normal for that sled. After my rebuild, i am premixing now as my srx isnt a trail sled, just used for radar runs.

when your oil pump goes bad it goes to wide-open.

How hard were you riding? My viper goes through very little when my wife rides it but with a friend riding it uses a lot more. Like stated above check the gap and also check the bracket that holds the cable on the pump and make sure it is not broken off. When I bought mine the previous owner just rebuilt it from a burn down and when I went through it I found they somehow broke the bracket and the oil pump was not opening.

majority of my riding is 1/3 throttle or less......
I bought this sled used last year, so I had no idea what normal oil consumption is. I've always heard vipers were easy on oil, but this seems crazy.
I wonder if this is why I'm getting piston slap now. Anything over 1/2 throttle my dcs light comes on, it must be picking up the piston noise....
I will verify oil pump lever movement and cable gap.

if you have piston slap, it should be torn down as you will screw a cylinder or take out the crank too when it fails.

You might want to also check needle settings and raise them a little if they are at stock specs.

Back