2002 Yamaha Viper TORS issue?

MitchTC

Just got a 2002 Yamaha SX Viper this year and have only been out on it twice. First time was just a short 30 mile trip. This last weekend I went out and covered about 100 miles and had some stretches getting speeds up to 70-80 mph. Not sure how to best describe the issue I was having, but if I was running up near 70mph and braked to a quick stop, I'd get to a complete stop but engine would sit and idle at 3000 RPM, and throttle would not do anything if I wanted to continue. It would idle at the 3,000 RPM for maybe 5-10 seconds, and either 1. slow back down to typical 1500 RPM and I'd be able to ride off, or 2. slow down and die. Either way if I hit the fuel shut off and restarted motor, everything would be running fine. Or if it died, start it up and again be just fine. I feel like it has something to do with the TORS but I don't know enough about it to know what might be wrong.

The tors limits engine to 3000rpm when the throttle(thumb) is
closed and the switch on the carbs is not contacted.
Be sure there is some slack in the throttle cable. You would be surprised how much can be in it and still have wot.

If there is enough slack and it still does it, then unplug it at the carbs and plug into each other. This by-passes it. Then you'll know if that is the issue or not. If that is the case, I highly recommend figuring out which switch is bad, ( it is usually the one at the carbs) and replacing it so that your TORS is able to be working again. Watching your sled ghost ride at wide open throttle until it smashed into something wouldn't be very fun.
I've had the carb switch go out on my 03 Viper once since it was new, and it failed on my uncles 02 Viper as well.

Back