01 700 SXR Lost chaincase oil

GudeMN

Has anyone experienced this......

I had a friend on my SXR today and in the middle of a ride he tells me "something is wrong" so I hop on. I can feel the chain slipping or binding under heavy load. Pulled muffler and checked chain tension. Seemed loose, so I went finger tight with 1/2 turn back off. Helped a little. I was able to get home doing 30 mph as long as I accelerated slowly and evenly.

Regardless, got home and prepped to open up the chaincase. I noticed no chaincase oil was draining after I pulled the drain plug.....crap.
I noticed the bolt which seats the chain sprocket was sitting funny on the cover....almost like it was pulled into the cover. Pulled cover off and my fears were confirmed. I've got a black mess in there. Chain is shot, drive sprocket is missing 2 teeth, and the bolt hole where I'm guess my problems started is not round anymore.

Did that bolt back out a bit and allow the lubrication to leave? Does this happen to others? What else might have happened?

2 sleds go down on the same trip....not a good start to March. Especially with another big ride on the horizon.

Yep, happened to me last year. Bottom bolt backed out and poked a hole through the cover.
Does your speedo still work ?
If I recall, my speedo bearing was badly shot.

That's got to be it! I could see the entire head of the bolt outside of the cover. I'm now realizing the hole I was noticing isn't round anymore shouldn't even be there.
Ha ha ha!!!!

Speedo worked fine all the way back to the trailer. I'm going to replace the top bearing in the chaincase proactively....I'm sure it has metal filings in it.

Thanks for responding and reminding me there are no bolts that go through the chaincase cover.

Any idea what could be wrong with my 600SX? Not a good day for my sleds to say the least.

There are 3 bearings in the chain case, I would replace them all, along with the seals, as long as you have to take it out anyways. Would also do the speedo side bearing, as you can buy all those in one kit.
Let me know when your ready, I can point you in the right direction for parts and easy way to get cover bearing out.

Parts:
Chain case Cover - 8CR-47543-01-00
Chain - 94860-02070-00
22T Gear - 89J-17682-20-00
39T Gear - 89J-47587-90-00
You can find these parts used all over ebay cheap.

LowerBearing and Seal Kit -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Balls-...962467&hash=item2ce6473d0c:g:h00AAOSwr~lYonVl
The kit will get you a bearing for speedo drive and lower chaincase along with the seal and small oring that goes inside the metal collar.

If you want to change the top bearings and seals, this is the kit for that.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-SHAFT...uMAAOxynapRhyrB:sc:USPSFirstClass!58701!US!-1

Last edited:
lol was just going to as that as now is the time to add it if you do not.

i think that bokt needs to be replace periodically as it broke on my brothers viper just before we put the reverse on it and it had only been out once when we extended it to 136" track legnth.

Reason I asked was he PM'ed me some part numbers that were for a sled with reverse.
18T top gear is for a reverse sled, along with the different chain case cover part #.

Yes to reverse, those were the part numbers I sent to MurdYam. I have parts located and will get them next week if everything works out.

Still need to get the bearing kits. MurdYam mentioned some tips on re those.moving/replacing those. Dispense your knowledge sir!!!!

I tightened this bolt to 29NM plus a 1/4 or 1/2 turn (next torque wrench starts at 70N-m) should I be concerned about this backing out? I didn't use any locktite. Most people are fine by just checking the dipstick periodically for grit right? I just changed all the chaincase bearings before the season.

As far as chain tension, I've heard finger tight (is that different than hand tight?) but some people say to back it out 1/4 turn. What is the official spec and what would be the logic for backing it out?

Can too tight of a chain impact top speed?

on these sleds, it is finger tight and back 1/4 turn. too tight and you can get a whinning noise when riding. possibly can affect top speed but i am not a top speed guy.

Back