Clutch alignment ....

Man... should not have to do that.
That is the factory clutch.
Not sure what to tell you here.

Has the jackshaft ever been removed? Make sure the two sheetmetal bearing housing plates for the jackshaft bearing right behind the secondary clutch are both installed to the inside of the sled frame, not both outside or one in and one out.

I agree with you, but at this point i have been at this all day without getting it in spec. and that bothers me. i'm out of ideas. It is possible it came from the factory this way. I have another secondary for back up

Has the jackshaft ever been removed? Make sure the two sheetmetal bearing housing plates for the jackshaft bearing right behind the secondary clutch are both installed to the inside of the sled frame, not both outside or one in and one out.

Are you sure, i had the jack shaft out to replace the bearings, one is inside and one outside. Thats the way it came apart....

gonna go change it. Man thats too easy but easily overlooked. oh crap gotta pull the chaincase back out #$%&*

Last edited:
Well gentleman i bow to your knowledge. That was the issue its at slightly under 20 mm now. Room for adjustment. Thank you Murder Yamaha and srx700c for your time,knowledge and patience it is much appreciated

You're welcome, glad you got it sorted out, gotta keep these great old Yamaha's rolling!

Well gentleman i bow to your knowledge. That was the issue its at slightly under 20 mm now. Room for adjustment. Thank you Murder Yamaha and srx700c for your time,knowledge and patience it is much appreciated
Where can I buy one of these clutch alignment tools for the e-start primary? I haven't adjusted the motor but I've just replaced the jackshaft bearings and forgotten if any of my 3 shims should be going between the secondary and the jackshaft bearing or all on the outside.

Also, where can I find the official offset spec written for a 1998 vmax 700 xtcd?

Where can I buy one of these clutch alignment tools for the e-start primary? I haven't adjusted the motor but I've just replaced the jackshaft bearings and forgotten if any of my 3 shims should be going between the secondary and the jackshaft bearing or all on the outside.
I have a brand new one like murder has in his picture. Bought 2 years ago and my buddy backed out on his. $50 plus the ride if interested

I'm not sure I need it if the straight edge method works. I see now that the cover says the sheave offset should be 20mm +-1.5mm. putting a straight edge across the back of the ring gear I measure about 19mm to the back of the secondary sheave. What should that tell me? If the ring gear is say 2mm thick that would give me a sheave offset of 17mm is that correct?

All I have done is replace the bearings on the jackshaft (I have both bearing plates on the inside of the frame) with the top sprocket on the chaincase torqued, can this distance change somehow? To get more offset I believe I would need to remove the shims from the outside of the secondary and get the appropriate larger ones to go between the bearing and the secondary. I do see a ring on the back of the secondary from being up against the inner race of the bearing on the jackshaft which tells me that there were no shims on that side before. So I just am wondering if something could have changed or not.

I'm not sure I need it if the straight edge method works. I see now that the cover says the sheave offset should be 20mm +-1.5mm. putting a straight edge across the back of the ring gear I measure about 19mm to the back of the secondary sheave. What should that tell me? If the ring gear is say 2mm thick that would give me a sheave offset of 17mm is that correct?

All I have done is replace the bearings on the jackshaft (I have both bearing plates on the inside of the frame) with the top sprocket on the chaincase torqued, can this distance change somehow? To get more offset I believe I would need to remove the shims from the outside of the secondary and get the appropriate larger ones to go between the bearing and the secondary. I do see a ring on the back of the secondary from being up against the inner race of the bearing on the jackshaft which tells me that there were no shims on that side before. So I just am wondering if something could have changed or not.
Or does 20mm +- 1.5mm include the distance from the back of the ring gear to the back of the secondary? In which case I guess I would be in spec

Back