Radius Rod Installation

Yzed608

VIP Member
I have my front end apart to install new bushings and paint it. The manual lists some specific angles for the ball joints on the radius rods, and I am curious how one would go about setting these angles and keeping them when torquing them down. I found an older version of the suspension tuning manual (https://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/02...ice-manual/97-98-proaction-service-manual.pdf) and page 17 says:

"To tighten the upper radius rod ball joint locknut, temporarily install the upper radius rod assembly in place of the lower radius rod, then tighten the nuts, keeping the ball joint outer housing centered. Remove and install in the upper mounts and repeat for lower radius rods."

Has anyone done this? Are you supposed to put the upper rod in the same position as the lower (as in the heim joint on the bulk head side instead of the trailing arm side)? If so how do you even get a wrench in there? It's not very clear on how to do it.

I'm just having a hard time working out in my head how to set the ball joint angle and keeping it there while torquing (and how do you torque these, use a crows foot on a torque wrench?). I took some reference photos when taking apart, but if I remember right it was hard breaking the joints loose off of these, I can easily see the joints turning when trying to tighten them down.

Here's some reference photos I took before taking the joints off of both the upper and lower radius rods.
z3IEoaP.jpg

liNFlRJ.jpg

Back