Can I use 700sx carbs on 9& SRX? Top end Low power

srx700pilot

I picked up 98 srx, carbs hadn’t been cleaned in forever. I’ve Cleaned carbs 4 times now and continue to have upper mid to top end poser loss. Any powder or high end it bogs. I have spare carbs off a 700sx. Can I try those to help rule out carbs? How can I diagnose between fuel issue vs clutch issue? It has good throttle response and power, until what seems like high rpm whether fuel or clutching. Thanks.

I’ll check when I get home tonight. I know my 00 and 01 run about 8250. This one is probably only in the 6k range. In my mind I feel like it goes then the rpms get up there and it falls flat, bog, and no power. I just don’t know how to diagnose between fuel, clutching, maybe power valve. I don’t think it would be so responsive if it was power valves ?

I’ll check when I get home tonight. I know my 00 and 01 run about 8250. This one is probably only in the 6k range. In my mind I feel like it goes then the rpms get up there and it falls flat, bog, and no power. I just don’t know how to diagnose between fuel, clutching, maybe power valve. I don’t think it would be so responsive if it was power valves ?

Remove the PV servo cover and look for excessive slack in one or more cables. If you find any cable with a lot of slack, it's most likely pulled through at the other end. Throttle response will be the same with our without a broken PV, but you won't reach peak RPM at WOT.

Your target RPM is 8400-8500 at WOT.

When cleaning the carbs, did you pull the needle seat under the float and clean the inlet screens? These are often over looked.

Last edited:
Remove the PV servo cover and look for excessive slack in one or more cables. If you find any cable with a lot of slack, it's most likely pulled through at the other end. Throttle response will be the same with our without a broken PV, but you won't reach peak RPM at WOT.

Your target RPM is 8200 at WOT.

When cleaning the carbs, did you pull the needle seat under the float and clean the inlet screens? These are often over looked.

WOT should be 8500, according to the tech pages.

Thanks for all the input. I havent had a chance to get back to it during the week. I’ll try all the recommendations hopefully tomorrow or Thursday and post results.

Back