Throttle and choke cable help

Taylorlee101

Hello all,

I am new to the site and am having an issue with something that should be very easy. How do I get the throttle/choke cable out of the bracket on the carburetor?

Choke cable I unscrew the tiny phillips head and slide off plastic slide ,spring and pull off cable attached to bracket and lay to the side. Throttle cable loosen jam nut, (take a picture or video or measure where it pokes through bracket to put back in same position) actuate the portion where cable attaches on bracket and slide end of cable out of bracket, unscrew throttle cable from bracket.

witch sled?

i must be getting old as i will need to go look at one to give you tips if some one else does not chime in.

Hello all,

I am new to the site and am having an issue with something that should be very easy. How do I get the throttle/choke cable out of the bracket on the carburetor?

For either cable = loosen jamb nut on cable adjustment screw. Unscrew adjustment screw (hexed cable end) completely from slotted bracket (it is helpful to open the throttle/choke mechanism to relieve tension on the adjustment screw while unscrewing and also during removal). Pull cable up and out of the slot.

When assembling/adjusting - make sure there is a healthy level a slack at the throttle cable where it attaches to the throttle pulley. You should be able to deflect the inner braided cable 3/8"-3/4" after adjustment but still reach WOT when the lever is pegged. Failure to do so may trigger TORS.

I have an 89 ovation. How do I disconnect the choke cable from the carb? It has a single body/ double barrel carb. The choke cable goes into the carb in the center of the carb body. I loosened the jam nut and backed the brass nut out but the cable end is still retained somehow down inside the carb. Any one have any ideas?

I have an 89 ovation. How do I disconnect the choke cable from the carb? It has a single body/ double barrel carb. The choke cable goes into the carb in the center of the carb body. I loosened the jam nut and backed the brass nut out but the cable end is still retained somehow down inside the carb. Any one have any ideas?

I've never worked on one but based on the picture I saw, it looks like a typical plunger style choke. In which case, the plunger is most likely corroded inside its bore. I'd recommend unscrewing the hex nut above and spray carb clean or rust penetrate under the unscrewed nut an allow it to sit a while. then try to work the plunger up and down using the cable. Once the hex nut is loosened, the whole plunger, nut and cable should come out (provided the plunger isn't corroded or gummed up).

I've never worked on one but based on the picture I saw, it looks like a typical plunger style choke. In which case, the plunger is most likely corroded inside its bore. I'd recommend unscrewing the hex nut above and spray carb clean or rust penetrate under the unscrewed nut an allow it to sit a while. then try to work the plunger up and down using the cable. Once the hex nut is loosened, the whole plunger, nut and cable should come out (provided the plunger isn't corroded or gummed up).

Thank you. Yes, I though the same, once you unscrew the brass base, the whole assy should just come out. Its really odd if it is corrosion. I had this carb out at the beginning of last season and brought it to my buddies shop. it was fully disassembled and sat in the ultrasonic bath, then a full rebuild. Summer can be hard on stuff though....

Back