2004 Viper ER New Belt is wearing unvenly on inside

Yamidude

Merry Christmas all!

It's good to be back to this place in life! Christmas is coming, the lakes are freezing up and I'm getting my Viper ready to ride! Last year I was on here asking about clutching and wondering why the sled didn't seem to rip as it should. I was given some great information and decided to start tackling the clutches (but with three kids and one of them a hockey player, time is VALUABLE). Just to give you a quick back story, last year I bought the Viper from a friend and he had it serviced for me before I brought it home. The sled runs like a champ and seems to ride good overall. However, there is some clutch noise and the primary seems to snap into engagement which makes me think it needs a good cleaning (the sled has 8k miles). I should note that I put a new belt on it last year and put maybe 250 miles on it. Today when I removed belt to take off the secondary, I realized that the inside of the belt is wearing unevenly. The ribs on the outside of the belt show wear, were the inside of the ribs don't. Could someone shine some light on this issue? The belt deflection seems correct as the top of the belt sits about 1/8" above the sheaves. My plan is to remove the primary (when my clutch removal tool arrives) and to clean both clutches real good. At that time an inspection of all parts will take place to ensure that everything is ok. But I am very concerned about the wear on the belt because I've never seen that before. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Pics to illustrate the issue.

Attachments

• B09968EC-B54B-4B17-9B58-896E83BF67C4.jpg
    B09968EC-B54B-4B17-9B58-896E83BF67C4.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 7
  • E999D1AD-2EF0-450F-A3AE-3A936132D4AD.jpg
    E999D1AD-2EF0-450F-A3AE-3A936132D4AD.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
  • C825E21B-BC68-485C-BCA1-8CFB6462A8A9.jpg
    C825E21B-BC68-485C-BCA1-8CFB6462A8A9.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 7
It’s a tool that fits over the primary and gives you a straight edge over to the secondary clutch.
They need to be in alignment with each other. The secondary can’t be moved, so the motor must be moved to align primary to secondary.

Still need help!

I'm waiting on my new clutch parts for my 2004 Viper ER and while I'm waiting, the motor needs alignment. I've read all sorts of conflicting info on which offset gauge is needed. Currently on eBay there is a YS-42421-2 tool up for auction and I need to know if that will work on my sled because its only $17. It provides a 20mm offset and in the service manual it says 15mm and it also lists 20mm. But i am not sure which models of sled this applies too. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks!

PS. If there is another way to align the (engine) clutches without a gauge, I AM ALL EARS!

I think I have a belt alignment issue as well
Anyone have an old school method without a special tool?

It is possible, or atleast worth a shot

I did it with a streight edge and the center to center measurements on my brother's sled a few weeks back after we installed his motor. Must of got lucky cause no matter how hard he beats it, clutches always stay cool to the touch and belt has no odd wear after 250 miles of his abuse.

Last edited:
I think I have a belt alignment issue as well
Anyone have an old school method without a special tool?

As Vincent mentions - a straight edge that is thin enough to rest against the non-movable sheave of the primary (between the engine and the primary) and long enough to take a measurement at the leading and trailing edge of outer surface of the move-able sheave of the secondary. Both measurements should be the same (15mm I think) and checked after measuring the center to center distance between the primary and secondary.

It's helpful to have another pair of hands to hold the straight edge against the primary while the other pair make the measurements which is really the only advantage of having the alignment tool. I modified the one I have that used to fit Polaris' P85s.

Clear as mud?

I think Vipers are notorious for broken motor mounts (which will obviously affect alignment) and also don't have the SRX dog bone.

I ended up ordering the YS-45472 offset gauge because I have the 2004 Viper ER. The clutch seems to be aligned properly and the only thing I can conclude is that the moveable sheave wasn’t functioning properly because the clutch was FILTHY! I put all new parts in it when I installed the Heel Clicker Kit and put all new parts in the secondary including a 46/36 helix that I scored brand new off eBay for $40. Everything seems to work great, except the part where we don’t have any snow. I live in upstate NY and this has been the worst winter on record for us. We have about 3” of frozen crap and all our trails are closed....sooooo....I cannot finishing tuning my HC’s. Hopefully February produces some snow for us!

The most talented of Chinese children!!! Lol
Just kidding.... Heck post the link and I'll buy one too!

LMAO!! It’s actually the Kent Moore gauge. I bought it off eBay for $44. Just search YS-45472 and it should come right up.

on a viper, especially with a heel clcicker kit in it, I would add the dog bone restricting link. More then likely your belt is misaligned as soon as you hit the gas. stock the vipers would twist the mounts, they need the dog bone link like whats stock on the srx.

Back