What could cause this much track damage?

White & Nerdy

I bought an '03 Viper a few weeks ago and one of the reasons I bought it, was the newish ice attak track it has. When I went to look at it, the guy had it out in his yard so I could test ride it. The suspension seemed a little soft, but aside from that, everything seemed fine. When I looked in the skid, being packed with snow, I never noticed the SERIOUS damage to the inside of the track that I found later. Turns out the rear shock mount was rubbing on the inside of the track. I pulled the skid out expecting to find broken parts, but everything looks okay. The bushings have all been replaced, the w arm has been welded, but everything seems straight. The only thing, is the rear shock was set way looser than it should be. This sled was ridden by the guys daughter, and I'm guessing he set it that way since she probably doesn't way 100 pounds. So, the questions: could this much damage be caused by the rear shock preload being set too light? What else should I be looking for? Is this track useable? Thanks!

Attachments

• Track.jpg
    Track.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 26

I bought an '03 Viper a few weeks ago and one of the reasons I bought it, was the newish ice attak track it has. When I went to look at it, the guy had it out in his yard so I could test ride it. The suspension seemed a little soft, but aside from that, everything seemed fine. When I looked in the skid, being packed with snow, I never noticed the SERIOUS damage to the inside of the track that I found later. Turns out the rear shock mount was rubbing on the inside of the track. I pulled the skid out expecting to find broken parts, but everything looks okay. The bushings have all been replaced, the w arm has been welded, but everything seems straight. The only thing, is the rear shock was set way looser than it should be. This sled was ridden by the guys daughter, and I'm guessing he set it that way since she probably doesn't way 100 pounds. So, the questions: could this much damage be caused by the rear shock preload being set too light? What else should I be looking for? Is this track useable? Thanks!

That track will not hold up at speed - IMO.

I think something wasn't assembled correctly when the skid was serviced.

Or, the bearing/bushing is toast at the top shock mount, causing the end of the shock to be in the wrong spot and wear through the track.

Is this with the stock Yamaha Pro-action skid? Can you post a pic of the skid?

I think it's stock viper pro action, but some stuff was obviously cobbled together. Something doesn't seem right with the transfer rods. I'm pretty sure those aren't stock. W arm is welded, but everything seems straight?

Attachments

• Skid 1.jpg
    Skid 1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Shock.jpg
    Shock.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14
  • W arm.jpg
    W arm.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 20
That damage is from the w arm or the bracket that holds the bottom of the front shock broke at one time and dug into the track after a few miles. The track can be fixed for the trails if done properly but wont be any good for prolonged speed runs.

I should have been more clear in my first post. The damage is definitely caused by the track rubbing on the upper rear shock mount, but I can't figure out why it would rub on that. Would the shock being set too loose cause the shock mount to contact the track? I think the track touches it now because all the cords are destroyed in the track so it sags between the two outer bogie wheels?

Attachments

• Track disaster.jpg
    Track disaster.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Track outside.jpg
    Track outside.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 8
I think it's stock viper pro action, but some stuff was obviously cobbled together. Something doesn't seem right with the transfer rods. I'm pretty sure those aren't stock. W arm is welded, but everything seems straight?

The front shock needs to be spun 180° so the valve is protected by the W-arm. Do you have a full pic of the rear shock?

The front shock needs to be spun 180° so the valve is protected by the W-arm. Do you have a full pic of the rear shock?
Here's the rear shock. It's set at 14.25". Also a pic of mismatched bogie wheels. They are the same diameter at just under 7".

Attachments

• Bogies.jpg
    Bogies.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Full Shock.jpg
    Full Shock.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 7
I've got mine set at 13.5 and set on A she rides nice n soft. Make sure the track is adjusted to 1 inch with 22lbs of weight. (I set mine at an inch right where the little rubber stoppers are on the rails) If it was loose it could cause the track to be flopping around and slapping on the highest points of the skid perhaps?

Last edited:
Check the outside diameter of that blue aftermarket wheel, and see if it’s smaller than the black factory one.

I think Murder might be right. The front shock's upper bearing appears to be heavily worn or maybe my eyes ain't what they used to be.

I think the transfer rods are adjustable Bender's.

Blue may also be right that the previous breakage of the W arm is what caused the track damage.

As BeTheViper points out - crap bushings and lack of lube throws the whole suspension into chaos.

Last edited:
Does this machine have reverse? It is possible it caught the metal at the top of the shock going backwards. You would have to look at the direction of the cuts /rips to know for sure.
It is possible the track was either to tight or to loose at some point in time. You never know what previous owners have done prior to you obtaining the machine.
The shock head itself is narrower and rounded. Unlikely it would make such a wide rip or tear in the track.

Does this machine have reverse? It is possible it caught the metal at the top of the shock going backwards. You would have to look at the direction of the cuts /rips to know for sure.
It is possible the track was either to tight or to loose at some point in time. You never know what previous owners have done prior to you obtaining the machine.
The shock head itself is narrower and rounded. Unlikely it would make such a wide rip or tear in the track.
No reverse, but it definitely rubbed on the shock mount. I checked all the bushings, spring preload, and track tension and the track still almost touches the shock mount. I can barely get a dollar bill between the two. I don't know if it's because the track is sagging in the middle now that the cords are destroyed or something is still out of whack in the skid? I guess I either need to get a new track and see what happens or just give up on this pos and part it out. By the way, thanks for all the replies!

Attachments

• Shock.jpg
    Shock.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3
All the proactions I have seen let the track rub there.Top of rear shock mount.BUT it will not cause that much damage. track is toast so is the skid. So replace it with a better brand and you will have a great sled.

Back