98 XTC 500 Reed notch fix?

nailsandrails

VIP Member
I am confused if I could do the infamous reed notch on a 98 XTC 500 twin. I looked at the tech pages, and one page says I can, and another says it is for 600 and 700's. If I can do it I also want to be clear that I would not need to do the reed spacers then?? Thanks for any help!!

You can do it, but i'm not sure that it does much on the 500/600 twins because they have a slightly longer intake tract, so the reed stoppers don't block the transfer ports as much. You can do the mod, it definately isn't going to lose any performance, it just might not gain as much as on the other sleds. About the spacers, it is kind of a one or the other thing. Some people get worried that the reed stoppers dont last as long when you notch them, so they run the spacers instead. Its a matter of preference, but you don't need both.

ill let you know. im ordein the stailess stoppers to notch for my 01 sxr 500. i am hopein to eliminate some of the low-end bog it has. that is what the notch is supposed to do. it is not for highend performance.

well the notch is in and it is making a difference. sled is easyer to start so far. we will see how it does once the snow flies :WayCool:

Let me know about all your mods im having trouble with my Vmax 500 xt. I clutched it and it reved up to 8000 rpm it worked great at first but later it lost power and wouldent rev up I cant understand the trouble I never put 500 miles on the sled all new parts in the clutch the compression is at 120 the reeds are brand new carbontech reeds and the carbs are as clean as a wistle this is very puzzeling.I also droped all jets 1 size from stock. Just rember that this sled screamed at first but know it has a burble and wont rev over 7000 rpms. It has vmax Johns set up with 1 size stiffer than sock spring . He has a stock spring in his clutch. It starts like a new machine and I tried new plugs, and put in the stock reeds,still the same.Anyone? #$%&* #$%&* :rocks: :o|

Last edited:
Ok, so if the notch works, how about spacers? The spacer shown in the tecnical pages is for 600s and 700s, but will it fit on the 500?

Reed Spacers

Guess I could go take it apart and measure it for myself, but it would be easier if someone already knows. A little more low end performance is exactly what I am looking for out of my 500.

Last edited:
V-Maximum said:
Let me know about all your mods im having trouble with my Vmax 500 xt. I clutched it and it reved up to 8000 rpm it worked great at first but later it lost power and wouldent rev up I cant understand the trouble I never put 500 miles on the sled all new parts in the clutch the compression is at 120 the reeds are brand new carbontech reeds and the carbs are as clean as a wistle this is very puzzeling.I also droped all jets 1 size from stock. Just rember that this sled screamed at first but know it has a burble and wont rev over 7000 rpms. It has vmax Johns set up with 1 size stiffer than sock spring . He has a stock spring in his clutch. It starts like a new machine and I tried new plugs, and put in the stock reeds,still the same.Anyone? #$%&* #$%&* :rocks: :o|

TORS acting up? or maybe check the spark plug caps.

If it was the TORS it wouldn't let it rev anywhere near 7 grand. You said you cleaned your carbs or that would be my next question. Could definately also be a bushing binding in the clutches, such as the helix bushing, primary cover bushing, or spider bushing.

Back