Choke Adjustment?

ThePunisher

Hey guys,

My 97 Vmax 600 sx has a hard time starting, even when it is somewhat mild outside. I was thinking that it is probably the choke. I have a strong spark. When she's warm she'll fire up again on one pull, but starting from cold in the morning is a B**ch!

How do I check to see if the choke needs to be adjusted?

and are there any online shop manuals for my sled?

TIA

:)

when you shut your machine off, try using the choke for about 5 seconds before you hit the kill switch, that will put a little extra fuel in there to make it easier to start next time. I'm not sure how to quantify exactly how much the choke should be adjusted. Try adjusting is tighter until you can't flip the lever all the way to full choke, and then back it off a little. Also need to be sure that you don't adjust it so tight that it hangs up.

It should have just a little play in the cable when off before it starts to pull the plungers up. I believe the spec is 0.5 to 1 mm, but I didn't check to be sure.

I had a similar problem with my 600 SX. It turned out to be the rod for the plunger. The rod froze and would not allow the plungers to open. I would bet it's either that or the plungers are froze. The adjustment should have about 1/16 of an inch of play in the lever when it's all the way down (warmed up), grab the lever and pull it towards the back of the machine. Do not use the lever like you're gonna cold start it, just grab the whole lever and pull it towards you. The adjusting nut is on the carb rack, loosen the locking nut, this will allow you to tighten or loosen the cable. Pretend it's warm and tighten the cable so there is no play at all, now back it off until you get some play in the lever by pulling it straight out towards yourself. Thats it, tighten the locking nut and you're done.

Back