Spark plugs - annual change or only when needed?

Jack99

Today, I "fired up" my 1999 Venture 600 Triple on its rear steel stand and its engine didn't run very well. It was good at high RPMs but spit/sputted on its lower RPM range. And, its usual steady idle was off as well. Could be its jets not liking my current 65 F hot weather (instead of below freezing temps), some bad gas, bad spark plugs, needs a good shot of fuel system cleaner or it simply needs a "good 1st season trail run". Or, perhaps a combination of many different things??? If wondering, I'll fire its engine up again at end of Nov -> when snow season is closer as well.

Question: Do you guys change spark plugs every new season (using current plugs as `on belt guard` backup) or only change its spark plugs when needed? If wondering, I've never fouled a plug since I bought it. She'd been a very stable / reliable engine since buying...

Today, I "fired up" my 1999 Venture 600 Triple on its rear steel stand and its engine didn't run very well. It was good at high RPMs but spit/sputted on its lower RPM range. And, its usual steady idle was off as well. Could be its jets not liking my current 65 F hot weather (instead of below freezing temps), some bad gas, bad spark plugs, needs a good shot of fuel system cleaner or it simply needs a "good 1st season trail run". Or, perhaps a combination of many different things??? If wondering, I'll fire its engine up again at end of Nov -> when snow season is closer as well.

Question: Do you guys change spark plugs every new season (using current plugs as `on belt guard` backup) or only change its spark plugs when needed? If wondering, I've never fouled a plug since I bought it. She'd been a very stable / reliable engine since buying...
You need to clean your carbs, there is no substitute for it, no fuel system cleaner or the like will clean it like it needs. I change my plugs usually a couple times a year lol which is excessive but owell. I always drain out all of last years gas also put in fresh and have freshly cleaned carbs

Thanks for your help. Based on your feedback, I ordered new Spark Plugs a few moments ago. Will remove and clean its 3 x carbs as well. And while carb sets are removed (and keep in its same rack position), I'll "oil up" its choke spring as well. It seems to stick and needs a manual push to help it. If needed, I might even install a light pull spring on it. Only time will tell..

Again. Thanks for your feedback about new spark plugs each "new" season.

Plugged up carbs are the most likely because of early season burn downs! Theres a few how to posts in the tech section on what to do if u need em

My choke cable sticks aswell she is a bit rusty, I just work it with the carbs off and used pb blaster to help free it. I still always check to make sure after I turn the choke off after starting

My choke cable sticks as well she is a bit rusty, I just work it with the carbs off and used pb blaster to help free it. I still always check to make sure after I turn the choke off after starting

Thanks for this tip....

Ya. IMO, the factory coil spring on the choke system isn't the best design. I'm thinking of cleaning / leaving the factory coil (twist) spring in position and install a new light weight pull spring on its chock arm (on the little pivot rod area) to its lower engine area. When engine vibrates, this light weight pull spring will help pull the choke to its off position. Was going to remove the carbs today but its raining in my woods. Too damp / too cold to work in a dark shed today. When time comes, I will provide future pictures - to show how this light weight `pull spring` might work for you as well...

With weather being so warm in my north woods today, I decided to remove the carbs (entire carb rack) and clean them. Currently got 2 cleaned and will clean the other later today. Currently, my back needs a rest. While cleaning the 2 carbs (at my waist high work bench), I also noticed each air screws on all 3 carbs we set slightly different. (re: 1.5 and 1.75 turns) and I noticed its choke rod needed some lubrication as well. I also loosened off its choke pivot / swivel screw point 1/8 turn as well. Now, the choke moves back/forth very nicely. No need for an additional custom pull spring. Based on my sore back (from leaning over doing the carb cleaning task I used to do in my sleep - when I was much younger age), this will probably be my last year of sledding. Only time will tell....

Plugged pilot jets...

Still have the original spark plugs in my '01 SRX. Unless you're fouling spark plugs, there is no need to change them.

Thanks snomofo. I finally got all 3 carbs disassembled / cleaned and ready for re-install. My bad back is acting up again. Will probably re-install the Carb Rack middle of this week. Will add fresh gas and "fire it up" soon after. Just need my darn back pain to calm down.... Ya. It sucks getting old. This will probably be my last year of sledding... Very sad face....

Last edited:
Being nice weather, I installed the cleaned 3 x carbs today. Bending over to install, connect its many hoses and cables killed my back again. Ouch! Will "add fresh gas" and fire it up next week. Man, I hate having a bad back. Not too sure if my body can handle slow trail rides this winter. Only time will tell....

Getting old and having a bad back (same here) is bad enough but that sled your riding is a back breaker! the last trailing arm sled I had was a 98 vmax 700 and it beat the snot out of me. Maybe 5 years ago I upgraded to a 06 Attak and I could ride all day with no back pain or fatigue and now that machine is well out dated.
If you really don't care to spend money to upgrade to something newer DO NOT drive it because you'll instantly be hooked on how smooth and comfortable the new suspensions and riding positions are.

I second that, I ride with guys in there 50's and 60's and they ride new models, a couple doos a winder and a cat. They have no problem riding all day long where as afterwards I am beat to death on my old 97 vmax and I'm only 24! On fresh groom tho it's a blast.

I second that, I ride with guys in there 50's and 60's and they ride new models, a couple doos a winder and a cat. They have no problem riding all day long where as afterwards I am beat to death on my old 97 vmax and I'm only 24! On fresh groom tho it's a blast.

yup, even at your age those machines will give you a workout that you can feel at the end of the day. and I totally agree with you that on a fresh groomed trail those old sleds are a force to be reckoned with and are a blast to drive!

As mentioned to srx700c in a Private message, this will probably be my last winter of sledding. I only do groomed trails and I do "put put" speeds. If trail sign states max 50 kph, I do max 40. Not because of sled's older age suspension or my older age back. I'm at phase of my life where fast speed isn't my thing anymore. Regardless of my slow trail speed, my back is done. Even ATVing on local groomed trails is slow at "putt putt" speeds. Most of my ATVing time is in my yard - pulling a little 4x6 utility trailer behind it...

Memory... Three years ago, I grouped with a 72 year old guy on a 2001 700 triple single seater and we did "putt putt" speed together - for a 6 hour drive (stopping for many breaks and lunch). Best ride I ever did.... Especially since he did same ground speed as well....

Last edited:
Getting old and having a bad back (same here) is bad enough but that sled your riding is a back breaker! the last trailing arm sled I had was a 98 vmax 700 and it beat the snot out of me. Maybe 5 years ago I upgraded to a 06 Attak and I could ride all day with no back pain or fatigue and now that machine is well out dated. If you really don't care to spend money to upgrade to something newer DO NOT drive it because you'll instantly be hooked on how smooth and comfortable the new suspensions and riding positions are.

Last winter, I had an opportunity to drive a Navy Blue 2014 Venture 2-up model with EPS. re: Surf: https://www.yamahapart.com/inventor...yamaha-rs-venture-gt/5981d6366d81f8540cd538da It was a 1 day rental and I got to drive it on some simple groomed trails. As you warned, I fell in love with it. If only I had the extra dollars to upgrade. I'm sure my Special Needs son (who sometimes double rides "around the house with me") would love it as well.... But... Guess it isn't in my cards....

Last edited:
As mentioned to srx700c in a Private message, this will probably be my last winter of sledding. I only do groomed trails and I do "put put" speeds. If trail sign states max 50 kph, I do max 40. Not because of sled's older age suspension or my older age back. I'm at phase of my life where fast speed isn't my thing anymore. Regardless of my slow trail speed, my back is done. Even ATVing on local groomed trails is slow at "putt putt" speeds. Most of my ATVing time is in my yard - pulling a little 4x6 utility trailer behind it...

Memory... Three years ago, I grouped with a 72 year old guy on a 2001 700 triple single seater and we did "putt putt" speed together - for a 6 hour drive (stopping for many breaks and lunch). Best ride I ever did.... Especially since he did same ground speed as well....

That's what it's all about, having fun!

Update:

Being warm weather in my woods, I installed fresh non-ethanol gas and after some full choke, she fired right up. Bit of semi-choking to fill all carb bowls but in very short time, my 1999 600 triple was purring like a happy kitten (with belly full of fresh clean milk). LOL! And, she had smooth idle and immediate throttle response during lower engine RPMs as well. Conclusion: Cleaning all carbs and factory setting their air screws worked great. Now... We need some snow in my north woods.....

Note: While cleaning each carb I remember the warning. re: After cleaning, stop and clean again. Perhaps this was the trick! And since I bought new Spark plugs, I installed them and kept older plugs as spares.

thanks for your help....

Back