2004 SX viper no spark

ViperMan700

Hi,

I have an engine out of a 2004 sx viper that I was going to use for a buggy.
I have the entire wiring harness, gauge cluster, and ECU. As well as the components on the engine like TPS, temperature sender, etc. (like in the picture)
I don't have anything that the harness attaches to on the frame, like the oil sensor, hand warmers, and kill switch.

From my understanding, if I connect any black/white wire to the ground, then it will kill the spark.
Am I missing something that needs to be connected in order to fire the spark? Right now, I am getting nothing.

On the wiring diagram, I see two ground spots, one for the engine, and one for the frame.
19 is frame, and 18 is engine in the picture.

On the harness, I see an eye ring connector that looks like ground, and a black, single plug connector up where the handle bars would have been, but what actually connects the engine ground to the frame ground since it seems to be rubber isolated with the mounts?
Sorry, I don't really know much about snowmobiles or engine wiring.

Thank you,
-Barry

Attachments

• grounding sx viper.PNG
    grounding sx viper.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 4
  • sx viper wiring harness.jpg
    sx viper wiring harness.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5

Engine ground is on the coil rack I believe. Take a look at the connector and you'll see the black/ground wires all being connected to a bolt onto the coil ground. It's also wired through the harness to be grounded at the same eye you seen for body ground. That's what I found out while searching for any and all breaks in my main harness. Do not use the warmer or kill switch grounds. Those are wired into the ECM. The kill switch is looped through the box and warmers are controlled by the box as well.

As far as I know, these are the only two grounding points.

Thank you Gabutch. It looks like my grounds are in order now. I am still not getting spark.
There is a 4 wire plug that I think is the kill switch. I don't have the actual switch to test, but do you know what is open or connected when in the run position.
There is a:
Brown wire
Brow with white line
Black with yellow line
White with black line
20201222_111610.jpg

Thank you Gabutch. It looks like my grounds are in order now. I am still not getting spark.
There is a 4 wire plug that I think is the kill switch. I don't have the actual switch to test, but do you know what is open or connected when in the run position.
There is a:
Brown wire
Brow with white line
Black with yellow line
White with black line
View attachment 66032
This info would be handy. Anyone with a manual?

So I have resolved my intermittent no spark and or no spark at below 1500 rpm. I noted many of these threads are left open ended with NO final resolve posted by the OP. That sucks so I plan to leave info on a few different threads to help the next guy. Thanks to those who chimed in with ideas, charts, and needed info.
My pickup coil went bad.....1700 miles. I purchased an aftermarket complete stator from ebay for $85. They appear to be same for 2000 up triples.
On these Chinese stators You must modify the pickup coil bracket.
Grind off the indexing rings punched into the bracket. Cut the holes so they are a slot with openings to rear. Set gap to mag at a tight .038".
You can buy a stand alone pickup coil ( about any yamaha model application) for $40ish and splice it into harness to save more money. I would have done that hindsight.
Runs perfect again.

Back