600 Triple / Very Hot Exhaust

Pverra

After much trial and error with this sled (2000 Vmax triple/single pipe) , I seem to have it running well. Took it for a short five mile rip today. Brought back in garage and got a whiff of slight burning smell. Open hood and find the exhaust can seems excessively hot. Nearby wiring harness (in a loom) the loom was not burning, but seemed soft, like “on the verge” of melting.
I have had the exhaust can off and gave a good shake, and visually can see no obstructions.
Any ideas how to reduce exhaust can temps, and or what is causing this?
Thanks

After much trial and error with this sled (2000 Vmax triple/single pipe) , I seem to have it running well. Took it for a short five mile rip today. Brought back in garage and got a whiff of slight burning smell. Open hood and find the exhaust can seems excessively hot. Nearby wiring harness (in a loom) the loom was not burning, but seemed soft, like “on the verge” of melting.
I have had the exhaust can off and gave a good shake, and visually can see no obstructions.
Any ideas how to reduce exhaust can temps, and or what is causing this?
Thanks

Also, my gut was telling me look for “Lean” condition. Pulled all three plugs, all showed nice “brownish” and dry.

I am guessing something was in the silencer and in the process of burning up caused it to get hotter than normal. Might want to keep an eye on it though and possibly use some heat tape.

So, I removed exhaust today, and ran a wire brush on the end of a drill through it. I got out a few spoonfuls of “rust dust” at best. S home a flashlight through both ends and it looks clear through. Put it all back together. I am careful at start up not to let idle to long on choke, as it seems to load up. I “putted” away letting it warm up. It was a little boggy, and a few backfires for about 5min. Then seems to clear, and rips pretty good. Rode for about 15 min total, and pulled back in shop. Exhaust is super hot and again wire loom that passes nearby exhaust is soft and pliable from the heat. I have nothing to measure exhaust temp, but drop a handful of snow on and it evaporates instantly. Way to hot. I am afraid to take this thing anywhere as is! Pulled plugs and they are a nice “cardboard brown” colour.
Anyone else experience this, and have a solution for me?

There is a wire harness fastened up to the rad hose, and a red cable that goes from battery to starter. Wiring through whole sled are in protective plastic loom from the PO

Up the mains a size and see if it cools down, any chance ignition timing has changed? Not sure how that would happen but retarded ignition timing will make for really hot exhaust parts

Up the mains a size and see if it cools down, any chance ignition timing has changed? Not sure how that would happen but retarded ignition timing will make for really hot exhaust parts

Not sure. I bought the sled recently as a project, and have very little history from previous owner. I do know he had an exhaust can on it, which I got rid of and went back to stock. I don’t know if jetting was changed when he was running the can. I plan to go pull the carbs off again tonight and remove all jets and record numbers and compare to stock specs. That might “tell the tail”.

Reset per the factory jet chart, maybe set the needle one notch higher to make sure the mid range is a little rich and see if it cools down.

Is pto side or stator side plug look ANY different? I am thinking about a air leak somewhere. While it is running, spray carb cleaner on seams,gaskets and bearings. Any place the engine could suck air. A tone or rpm change indicates where to look at.

Last edited:
We ran into similar problem on our spare Vmax700. Actually caught the battery on fire. We managed to put out in short order but not before melting the battery , some wires and the recoil internals . I'd be willing to bet you may find a hole in behind the aluminum heat shield on the stock silencer. Ours looked ok but that is what ended up being the cause .

Wanted to follow up, with my finally outcome. I think I got it now! I will have to do a good test ride tomorrow. But, it turns out, when the previous owner installed a can, he re-jetted. I had gone back to a stock exhaust, and the machine was running super lean, and the exhaust was very hot.
Tonight I replaced all jets, and put everything to stock, with the exception of the fuel screw which I set a 1.75 turns out from seated.
Sled starts up, and idles perfectly. Zero backfiring, and I took for a short rip, and happy with throttle response etc. When I pulled back in the garage, I could touch the exhaust without burning my hand. Pulled plugs and they all look good.
Mid February and I got this figured out! I hope I can get some use out of it.
So, big take away when buying a used sled, do your homework, and try to get a full history. Would have saved me a lot of headaches.

Thanks for your update. Good to read that "re-setting / returning back to factory specs" is the secret. Another example of "follow your inner voice!" things. And, good to know that factory exhaust needs factory pilot jetting as well. Hopefully, your future long ride works as good as your perfect short ride. Again... Way to go!

Last edited:

Back