Electrical help Needed Please!

SRXChris

OLd blue acted up tonight, headlights went dim to almost nothing and only will idle and run on high beams. Tach isn't working till I apply throttle, sled idles and misses and wants to stall went switching to low beams. Turn on handlebar warmers and humb warmers and it misses, turn them off and away it goes but dim lights. SLed pulls 8500 rpm still with no bogs unless applying brake, handwarmers are on or high beam switch is activated.

Will start looking tomorrow in daylight for rub throughs but hoping for tips how to rule out grips, headlight relays, cdi stator etc what to unhook and how to test . Any suggestions please as I will attempt to diagnose and fix myself. I was thinking stator right away but confused it would pull 8500 rpm. THanks.

Sounds like you have one of the power wires shorting to ground. I agree about the load relay, it is the white relay that sits right above your left foot with the cdi box behind the panel. When it is removed the sled only powers the ignition.

Little more digging today. Sled starts idles fine(havnt drove yet) lights still appear dim. Tach is working again till I activate high /beam low beam switch, then drops off but picks back up. All wires under bar pad are good, no signs of chaffing there. Pulled the harness for headlights and all have continuity and no breaks or rubs. MAkes no difference when I pull relays as I said it idles fine before and after, how to test them ?

I've unplugged tail lights, no difference. Next I guess is pull main harness as nothing visible showing and went through harness 2 years ago when I pulled engine and was good then as well. Wish I knew how to properly read metre to diagnose would likely make life easier. After the harness I guess I'll swap stator. I think its something with hi/lo switch but all wires look good or possibly that load control relay. It;s only time I see tach drop is when usuing it but still to me makes no sense why beams are so low and barely on.

possible if contacts are getting bad in it. use a jumper wire on the plug to eliminate it from the equation.

Well i found stator plug was half melted when I pulled cover back after removing carbs and pipes. Got stator off and brought it inside. Dont see anything out of the ordinary. Priced out a new one and may just give up for this year lol. ABout 500 CAD dollars. I have a used one from a 2000 motor I picked up minus the pick up coil, will this work with old coil?. Either I run it or park it. Still going to pull wire harness as it's half out and not sure what caused melted plug. Rub through? Bad stator? Bad regulator? Thanks.

Your problem is definitely stator or stator plug. It may just be the plug connections. Just eliminate the plug and connect them direct. Can you post some good pics of the stator?
Also, just get a new aftermarket, half the price.

Your problem is definitely stator or stator plug. It may just be the plug connections. Just eliminate the plug and connect them direct. Can you post some good pics of the stator?

I can post a pic of plug on stator.

Attachments

• stator plug.jpg
    stator plug.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7

I can post a pic of the stator as well but it looks identical to the one from 00 I have, minus the pick up coil. You think just the stator or plug caused it to melt then? I was told never aftermarket for these and almost would take the chance trying my used one .

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2
What year SRX is yours?
The stator from 2000 - 2002 should be the same also a 2003 Viper stator works with those years. The 1998/99 SRX stators are different

00 and 01 use the same stator, they should appear identical.
Your trouble may just be the melted plug. These are easy to test. Hook the wires up but don't insulate them yet. Start the sled and use an AC volt meter to test between each of the circuits(3). should have the same voltage between each pair.

Yes, but it could just be that the connection there was poor and created heat.
I used to see this happen often on many street bikes, like the Honda goldwing for example.

00 and 01 use the same stator, they should appear identical.
Your trouble may just be the melted plug. These are easy to test. Hook the wires up but don't insulate them yet. Start the sled and use an AC volt meter to test between each of the circuits(3). should have the same voltage between each pair.

Can you test it out of sled? Now have a meter and dug old computer out to access the PDF service manual and see the steps to troubleshoot. I haven't found any rub through and may hard wire stator to avoid that plug. I'll get back to it Monday, damn work all weekend.

Each phase should have full continuity, and no continuity to ground. I have seen sometimes under the heat shrink, one of the white wires is not connected to the solid stator wire, making it then only a 2 phase.
Obviously cannot do a ac volt test out of the machine, which is the best test.

Back