Viper to Viper ER motor swap

Yamablue

So I'm swapping in a motor to my '02 Viper ER from my wrecked 02 non-ER. I was going to use my MPI power valve actuator to set my power valves, but nothing happens when I power the servo up. Key is on and kill switch is up, what am I missing? Always worked fine on my non-ER sled. I do have the battery out right now, and it sounds like I may not even need the external power harness. Just curious if I'm missing something. Not sure if there is something that I need hooked up that I don't.

What happens with the battery in? Truly don't know the answer and am just spit balling here, but the non ER would have come with a smoothing condenser in place of the E-start to keep from burning up the stator. Did you use the non ER fuse box and it possibly doesn't have the fuse installed? Again, just thinking out loud here.

I haven't put the battery back in yet. I'm going to try that today. Literally only the motor was swapped, everything else is all original ER.

OK, so put the battery in and nada, nothing. Not even the starter will engage jumping the solenoid. I didn't take the sled apart, the guy I bought it from had already pulled the blown motor, so I a little at a loss if there are any other ground connections to make other than the starter harness ground which I attached to the lower motor side motor mount on the Mag side of the motor. Fuse in the starter relay is fine. Have to find the other three still. I'm not even getting the reverse buzzer when the key is on. The only electrical connections I've made are the Stator and the pickup to the motor, the starter red and the starter ground cable. That is of course along with the battery connections. Anything else I should be checking? I'm glad I have all of the harness components from my old sled to swap parts out with.

Update: looks like I have a grounding issue. I grounded the black wire on the key switch and everything started to work except the starter turning over. I'd the battery is grounded to the motor, how is the motor grounded to the chassis? The rubber motor mounts would isolate it. Any thoughts?

i do not know the factory ground path but i would just add a ground from the battery to the chassis as the engine is already well grounded to battery.

i do not know the factory ground path but i would just add a ground from the battery to the chassis as the engine is already well grounded to battery.

That's what I figured I'd do, but I wanted to check in with others. Seems odd that I would need to do that, my '99 500 Dlx has the same config of just the engine grounded to the battery. Unless me not having the metal to metal motor plates tight is enough to cause a crappy ground, IDK. I was going to wait and tighten those down when I align it. I should check and see if there is continuity through the motor mount. Seems odd that it would though.

Oh and the starter didn't work because it is bad. That didn't help.

Back