Can’t get over 60mph or 6000 RPM

So I have a spring on order (stock OEM) is it advisable to try to smooth out the bumps on the weights? Is there anything else I should be looking at? Going to build a stand and run it with the new spring once it gets here and I can throw it back together. I really don’t think this is air-fuel related. Here is my total history with the sled... When I first got it and started it up it had a high idle so I figured carbs were dirty. Pulled them and cleaned completely... reset the fuel screw to 1 &1/2 turns out per spec. Went to check the reeds and the recoil side rubber boot the reeds sit in wasn’t even finger tight (ahhh ha air leak causing my high idle). Pulled the reeds out and inspected no chips or cracks... Threw it back together, all tight this time. Starts and running good, go for a test ride and it seems to be missing, along with no top end. Pull the plugs and the clutch side looks like it isn’t burning, had raw fuel and oil on it. Put on a new coil and boots and that seems to have taken care of that... take it out again and it’s running strong but falling flat on RPM and MPH

Have you done a compression test to make sure your good there?
Never know if the air leak may have damaged a cylinder.

Yeah both cylinders are near identical in psi and reading comparable to my Viper... Plugs are both looking a nice cardboard brown.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update the situation. Put the new stock primary spring in this weekend and ran her on a stand. Clutch seemed to shift out properly. The belt made it all the way up the primary and I hit 100 easily on the speedo... will have to wait and check it out next year in the snow under load but the spring seems to have done it. I also smoothed out the weights by hand with some sandpaper while I had the clutch apart. Thanks all for the advice. Good call on the spring Maim.

Back