Yamaha dealer mechanic forgot to hook up oil line to center cylinder

patskih2o

I had my 2001 SXr 700 in at the local yamaha dealer as it needed the water pump replaced and I didn’t have time to deal with it. Took them 3 weeks to get it done and cost me $600. I picked it up on my way out of town for a weekend trip. Here is where the issues started: 1) I did a quick check under the hood and saw they put the wrong cap on the radiator overflow (apparently they lost it and didn’t think I would notice but it was a solid cap without a release hose). The owner found a new one and gave it to me. 2) When I got up north and took it off the trailer I noticed it was making a squealing noise from the primary clutch area at idle. Looked at the alignment and deflection and looked ok, but then noticed they put the belt on backwards! 3) Also, it was louder then I recalled and after looking at the exhaust, they forgot to put on one of the retaining springs on the can. After wiring it up I thought I was good to go. 4) got 8 miles down the trail and the overheating light started blinking. Pulled over at a restaurant to get some lunch and let it cool down. I pulled the seat and opened the air valve on the radiator and was able to pour 1/4 bottle of antifreeze in (lucky the restaurant owner had some metric tools and antifreeze he let me use). Now for sure I thought I was all set, but wanted to run it awhile on the lake before going out on our trail run. 5) went 6 miles and no sign of overheating so thought I was good so started to head back until it locked up! Opened the hood and started to look around only to find that the center cylinder oil line was not attached!

Sorry for the long story, but wanted to share my frustration with the service received and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how much did it damage the motor at this point. Obviously, the piston and jug are shot, but would this typically also cause issues with the crank and bearings? I dropped it off at the dealer today as he will be fixing this on his dime, so I guess I may have to wait to hear from them... Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Well, I take it the original problem was that it had a coolant leak from the weep hole at the bottom of the engine. In my many years experience, I have fixed this issue multiple times, and it is just the rubber coated washer under the bolt that holds the impeller on.
This can be changed in a 2 hours without engine removal and the part is $22
I have never had to change the mechanical seal on one of these.
Sorry to hear about the bad service. GL

Yeah, expensive life lesson. Post here first before going to the dealer!

Back