much difference between 22/39 and 22/40 gearing?

vdubracer33

turk calls for 22/40 gearing. found 22/39 with chain on ebay for like 50 bucks. wondering if I should buy that or stick to trying to find 22/40

For my 600cc triple Venture 2-up and rarely ride double with its factory track, I use 22/39 gears for hard packed trails 98% of the time. Works great for my wants - which is to slightly lower its engine RPM on low drag / low stress riding conditions. If my track had studs (which makes heavier weight track), I'd probably go with 21 / 39 gears instead. If I remember correctly, factory is 20 gear. IMO, gearing should only be tweaked based on one's "most often" riding conditions. If wide range of soft snow and trail mixture conditions, then leave at factory build. This works for me....

not poitive but I believe my 98 xtc 700 has is a 40t stock? if thats the case I might just buy a 22t off ebay for $12. cant seem to find a dangaftermarket helix though! a guy has some on ebay but wont message me back afyer I asked what angles or part numbers he has

Search for helixes on ebay, a lot of secondaries with after market helixes will show up.

thats where I found a guy selling some. said he had bender and hauk and something else. problem is he doesnt list what angles he has. I messaged him asking but no response

not poitive but I believe my 98 xtc 700 has is a 40t stock? if thats the case I might just buy a 22t off ebay for $12. cant seem to find a dangaftermarket helix though! a guy has some on ebay but wont message me back afyer I asked what angles or part numbers he has

For my 600 triple, I could only install max 22T (top) using factory 39T (bottom) using existing factory chain and slightly grind down its chain tighter. It was a PITT (Pain In The Tail) to install but I finally got it to fit. If you go with 22T and 40T, you will need a longer chain. Thus, driving your total cost of upgrade higher.

Before upgrading from factory, do consider why you want this upgrade. For me, I drive hard packed trails 98% of the time and wanted to lower my engine's RPM for the same comfortable ground speed. re: Why over rev engine when it isn't needed. Upgrading from factory 20T to 22T worked great for me. But if you like to "spin the tail" around sharp corners, then perhaps 21T (using factory 40T - on your sled) and use factory chain is worth trying. Especially if 21T top sprocket is low cost on eBay.

Remember that gearing doesn't change belt engagement at engine RPM point or its max throttle engine RPM. It only changes its mph ground speed (like installing a 5th gear in a 4 speed vehicle transmission) - for driving on low stress / low resistant drag trails. For deep soft snow or hill climbing / jumping, I would keep factory gearing or only upgrade 1T on the top. Then give it a try....

Hope this helps....

Back