Broken Skid Rail - weld or replace?

Jack99

I have a 1999 Venture 600 Triple 2-up with very low KMs (miles). I was in my shed today getting a tool and something caught my eye. It was a broken Right Skid Rail on my sled. Ouch! Don't know how long it's been broken. re: Since mid winter or when I drove it into the shed. See below for pic.

To fix, what's best options? re:
A - Remove & Try to get local welder shop to weld it back up? Being welded, will it break again?
B - Find used replacement right skid rail? From where? ebay? Buy both sides - just in case other is weak as well?
C - Buy "new" replacement part (if they still make it) from Yamaha reseller?
D - Replace with something different / something better? Secret replacement thing...

Also... What is factory part number (to allow me to cross reference / confirm part numbers)? thanks.

If wondering, I might keep this slow speed trail sled for 1 or 3+ more years. Only time will tell....

thanks.

Attachments

• Cracked Skid Rail-2.jpg
    Cracked Skid Rail-2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Update:

I just bought 1 x "used" (right side only) replacement part from ebay. Should be here end of Aug. re: Above choice "B".

On a good note, I discovered this broken part now (mid summer) - instead of early winter months....

Hope I made the right replacement choice... Fingers crossed.

Lesson learned to others: Visually check your Skid rail and suspension wheel bearing parts now. Best to repair/replace in warm / cool weather - instead of laying in a snow bank and being shop benched during opening season... Ouch!

Last edited:
On ebay, I see many different shocks and different lengths for 1999 VT600.

Is there a specific shock part number and/or length I should buy for its stock skid (as well)?

Factory rear pn: 8CW-47480-30-00 appears to be for 136" long track.

Or, are you thinking of the front skid shock instead?

thanks.

Last edited:
there are 2 shocks in that skid. the rear witch you have the part # up in the above post and the front skid shock witch you can see in the above picture. from the looks of it, it has the stock hydraulic shocks that all the pro action ventures came with. still have my dads stock one in a bucket to go to cannondale to scavenge the spring off of it for an olins i broke last season and it looks exactly like what i can see in pic. i will check when i get home as i have the olins out atm and a rebuilt set of sx viper shocks in it to finish last season. i do not know if the 99 venture was long travel or not. odds are anything over 6000 km on that sled, that the shock is toast. learned the hard way in the past.

Update: Yesterday, I ordered a "used" replacement Skid Rail from a Sled Salvage yard in Alberta. re: Skid rail for 136" track. I should receive it in 3 weeks (or so). Luckily, I can install during warm temps in Sept - instead of freezing cold Dec weather.

Lesson learned: Do "double / triple" check your sled's suspension during T-Shirt weather months. Best to fix / replace parts now - instead of during freezing cold temps.

Update:

- Received "used" skid rail last Monday and its tip-tip length is same as my broken skid. Perfect.
- Yesterday, I ordered 2 x plastic sliders - from Royal Distributing. Hope to receive them soon.

Then, "do the replacement work" in warm T-Shirt weather. Smiles...

I would have ordered dupont slides while I'm at it. Makes less friction than normal sliders, making the sled faster.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes. I did proactive research on "dupont slides" and am very impressed with their design and longer lasting material. Many great reviews from the fast driving folks as well. Due to my limited wallet depth and my slow speed driving "norm", I decided to go with normal plastic slides instead. Especially since I might sell my sled this coming 2022. I didn't really need new slides now but since doing a skid rail replacement task, I will do new slide material replacement at same time....

Update:

Today, I finally 100% completed the replacement of my sled's broken right skid rail. Due to my body's older age and bad back (ouch!), I could only physically work until my back pained too much. Then, have a rest and do some more hours a few days later. In all, it took me 5 full "working" days spread across 3-4 weeks time period. While doing its skid rail replacement, I also did its many other pre-season checks / lubrications as well. re: Install new drive belt, finger touch lube its secondary clutch touch points, chain case oil replacement, do chain tension adjustments, lubed its carbs moving parts, grease injections to all factory zerks, etc. etc. While working on its suspension, I also replaced its worn out plastic bushings (on its front area swivel points), lubed up its dry sounding boogie wheels and replaced its worn out plastic sliders as well. Yes. I'm a slow speed worker but with my bad back, all direct and indirect tasks eventually got done. I will check / adjust its track tension after 5 and after15 hours of usage.

Lesson learned for others: Take one's slower speed quality time and be prepared for other mandatory lubrication / fixings as well. Quality always takes time....

Back