99 Mountain lite revival project

mountainlite99

hey,

I got engine broken 1999 mountain lite and i got engine working but now i have problem with Secondary clutch. I have 89L belt on it but still belt wont rise where it should be close to edge of plates. When i turn accelerator, sled is not moving. Only lot of smoke coming everywhere.

I am now wondering that i may have wrong setting for my spring. Spring is black with red dot.

Does somebody now original settings for this secondary spring? I have number selection in both plates. And i have tried to change settings few times but still same problem. Drive belt wont rise.

Last edited:

with the spring out and the belt off, does the clutch slide and the helix rotate freely on the buttons?

you can turn the track by hand?

I think you need to take a few pictures of your problem. I can't make any sense of this.

I went back to carage to check mountainlite and here i am now. Drivebelt is running now on The edge of secondary . So this should be correct position. My track stopped "walking" in idle when i realize that My primary clutch was too far away from secondary. So i moved engine and now i can Start engine without machine running to my carage wall.

I set my secondary Helix spring in 2-0 position. I am not sure If this is normal setting but old phazer has B-1 pos as stock, so i imrovised little.

When i went to test drive, engine runs but when i hit accelerator, engine is shutting down. If i am fast enough and i reach choke, rpm Will Rise again. So when driving choke on it runs little Better. With low speed my rpm is around 3500-4000. I have opened carburators on table and cleaned them pretty well with brakecleaner now for second time. Still i have same problem when driving. I tried to adjust pilot screw and it went little bit better when i opened screw More. I have oil pump working and 3% mix in tank.

Just now i check compression from sparkplug hole and i got 92,5psi from both cylinders. meter is cheap one.

Sorry for my bad English but its not my first language.

Could i have problem with airbox? It is closed with carb adapter. But i can see few mm. cap between airbox and adapter.

Thank you If you had time to read this far. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
that secondary should be wrapped to 70 degrees if everything is stock according to specs; ie 6-1= 70 degrees.

sounding like it is starving for fuel. have you replaced the filter in the tank? seen them fall apart on sleds that have sat for awhile. might need to pull the jet/nozzle with the holes in the side out and clean it. seen that tube cause issues on stuff before.

that secondary should be wrapped to 70 degrees if everything is stock according to specs; ie 6-1= 70 degrees.

sounding like it is starving for fuel. have you replaced the filter in the tank? seen them fall apart on sleds that have sat for awhile. might need to pull the jet/nozzle with the holes in the side out and clean it. seen that tube cause issues on stuff before.
Ok, i try that 6-1setting. I have not check filter in the tank. Do i need to remove tank for this? When i cleaned carbs i cleaned jet screw and hole with brakecleaner and air.

you can fish the filter out with a coat hanger through the filler hole with the white plastic sleve removed. hold the line tight as it is barely long enough to come out there. be careful putting it back in as it can get tangled with the sending unit float arm for gas gauge.

the one with the holes is under the main jet and needs to be pulled out to clean the side holes as i have never gotten those side holes clean without removing it. done it with brake cleaner a few times with no issues.

Well, here is filter. It seems to be very difficult to get out. To me it looks ok. ?

Attachments

• Resizer_16362271640410.png
    Resizer_16362271640410.png
    632.9 KB · Views: 4
that filter has crud on it from what i can see. the paper in it does not look right to me. and it has rust on the mesh.

yes they can be a pain to get out. the hose stretches just enough to do it through the filler hole, so i tend to use hose pinch off pliers to holt the hose while i replace the filter.

Well well, i was not able to change that filter but i was able to clean out tank after i took fuel away. After that i got chance to clean carburators in ultrasonic device and after that sled felt little bit better. Then i started to think about that only place i have not fixed is fuelpump. I tried to get repairkit but i could not find any in Europe. Then i found original fuel pump and ordered that one.

And now sled runs lot Better than before. I did not have much Time to test drive, but accelerator reacts much more better now than before. Not berfect but i continue testing in future.

Bigger problem is now what i find out. I had sled first time in cold for few days and now on test drive i notice that front suspension was frozen and maybe also in skid too. Let see If i can find used shocks somewhere in reasonable price.

I want to thank this Forum from help so far. I am new with this stuff and this is great place to find information.

Last edited:
What you guys think about following -> My mountainlite skid is pretty much done and i need to Make full maintance to get it rolling again. Somebody was selling ski-doo summit -08 "144 skid and track. Is it difficult to get working on my sled? I am thinking to get better driving profile. Track lug Height could be less. Summit has 2.25 inch high lug. Problem is with pitch size. I think summit has 2.86 or 2.52. My mountainlite has 2.52.
How about track width? Summit has 1 inch wider than ML.

Would this summit skid Make better performance? I am not looking for anything crazy deep snow sled but to get small upgrade to skid and then driving would be easier with higher driving position.

Last edited:
if the track drive pitch does not match, just sell the track. as long as you have all the mount point dimensions that slide set up will work in your sled. if you cannot get the mounting dimensions, don't bother with it and service yours.

Back