SX 700 CPR Pipe Clutching

Brdmh44

Hi,

Bought a 2000 SX 700 last year with CPR pipes. Only rode it one time and what a turd! Oil pump turned up too much, jetting was off and the clutching wasn't right.

Pipes want 9000-9200 RPM, only hit 7800-8200.

Sled is a 2000 SX700R

Has CPR pipes
Vforce reeds

Current primary setup:

Hauck orange spring (53/135)
8DN-10 weights
14mm rollers

Secondary has:

Unknown black spring wrapped at 80*
47/43 helix

Digging through old posts from Turk, he mentioned these sleds not liking tip weight. I feel like this was clutched fofor the wrong pipes all together.

My jetting and oil pump has been adjusted for my elevation and temps.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Bought a 2000 SX 700 last year with CPR pipes. Only rode it one time and what a turd! Oil pump turned up too much, jetting was off and the clutching wasn't right.

Pipes want 9000-9200 RPM, only hit 7800-8200.

Sled is a 2000 SX700R

Has CPR pipes
Vforce reeds

Current primary setup:

Hauck orange spring (53/135)
8DN-10 weights
14mm rollers

Secondary has:

Unknown black spring wrapped at 80*
47/43 helix

Digging through old posts from Turk, he mentioned these sleds not liking tip weight. I feel like this was clutched fofor the wrong pipes all together.

My jetting and oil pump has been adjusted for my elevation and temps.

Any ideas?

It dont sounds correct.. Would rivets do you have in the weights?

Here is Turks page: https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/tuning page.htm

MrSled,

I am trying to figure out rivet weight now. It appears they are both the same size/weight.

The weights are from a 1999 SRX 700 according to the chart.

I spent hours digging through old posts last night and it sounds like this is what I need:

WSW primary
8CA weights (rivet reccomendations?)
14.5 or 16mm rollers?

Secondary
Green spring at 70*
51/43 helix

Not sure on some of the above

MrSled,

I am trying to figure out rivet weight now. It appears they are both the same size/weight.

The weights are from a 1999 SRX 700 according to the chart.

I spent hours digging through old posts last night and it sounds like this is what I need:

WSW primary
8CA weights (rivet reccomendations?)
14.5 or 16mm rollers?

Secondary
Green spring at 70*
51/43 helix

Not sure on some of the above

Most of the piped sx700 we have done we used 89L weights with 14.5mm rollers. If you want to try them , I would start with empty with at and 14.5mm see how it runs as far as RPMs. I think It will need more tip based on the profile.

MrSled, I reached out to Simon's today. Hopefully he replies.

Murder Yamaha, Turk and others mentioned conflicting setups.

8CA, 8DF and 89L seem to be the common weights

Well Mr. Sled, still no information.

Going through old post after old post, I find some conflicting information from Turk.

He mentioned:
stock 8DF weight no rivets
Stock primary (Y-G-Y)?
Stock secondary @ 60* Wrap (Green)
16mm rollers
51/43 Helix
22-40 gearing

Others have mentioned 89L and 8CA weights too. However this will be a primary trail sled so it must have good back shift characteristics too.

My plan for now is to find and run stock stock weights unloaded, verify gearing, replace springs with stock, swap my Hauck “E” helix (47/43) and lean it out a bit.

The only bummer is no snow to test on before heading 5+ hours north this winter.

If anyone else has starting suggestions I’m all ears.

Thank you

Well Mr. Sled, still no information.

Going through old post after old post, I find some conflicting information from Turk.

He mentioned:
stock 8DF weight no rivets
Stock primary (Y-G-Y)?
Stock secondary @ 60* Wrap (Green)
16mm rollers
51/43 Helix
22-40 gearing

Others have mentioned 89L and 8CA weights too. However this will be a primary trail sled so it must have good back shift characteristics too.

My plan for now is to find and run stock stock weights unloaded, verify gearing, replace springs with stock, swap my Hauck “E” helix (47/43) and lean it out a bit.

The only bummer is no snow to test on before heading 5+ hours north this winter.

If anyone else has starting suggestions I’m all ears.

Thank you

Sounds like a good start. There are several way to get the CPR pipes to run good on the SX.
89L was the choice weight for us when we tuned Power Inc, used 8ay set up on GYT Pipes, 8ab on Benders. I would think Simon would tell you what they tested and what worked best on his pipes. The RPC pipes and CPR pipes are the same.

The combo I use on my 1997 Mountain Max works great, and is fast.
Runs around 9000-9200 rpm at 1700 Ft. elevation.
8CR Weights
13.3 inner rivet
empty outer
W/S/W Primary spring
147.5 mains
45 pilots

Back