02 Viper ER intermittent spark

4strokesmoke

So I picked up a project viper 700 and its having a weird spark issue. When you turn over the sled with the electric start there is no spark until i let off the key then all three plugs will spark then stop. I think its a stator problem because the flywheel was pretty rusty from sitting so we cleaned the flywheel up and still the same issue. Could my issue be in the E start circuit? any one else have this issue?

Any help would be great..

might be the ignition switch being corroded in the start position for the spark not working under cranking. i would leave the key in the run position and see if it starts in the run position by using a jumper wire across the starter solenoid.

So the spark issue is resolved with a new stator but now there is a new problem. the sled will idle fine but the dash and lights will not turn on. Now the sled will cut out if you give it throttle. Now here's the weird part if you get it above 3k rpm all the lights work sounds healthy but you fall below that rpm the machine shuts off. Could this be from a harness rub thru? I guess ill check that next...

Harness rub through is a possibility. Stator even new could be bad. Did you use a OEM stator or aftermarket? Aftermarket for these sleds are known to be bad right out of box unfortunately. OEM is the only way to go with this part.

So I have resolved my intermittent no spark and or no spark at below 1500 rpm. I noted many of these threads are left open ended with NO final resolve posted by the OP. That sucks so I plan to leave info on a few different threads to help the next guy. Thanks to those who chimed in with ideas, charts, and needed info.
My pickup coil went bad.....1700 miles. I purchased an aftermarket complete stator from ebay for $85. They appear to be same for 2000 up triples.
On these Chinese stators You must modify the pickup coil bracket.
Grind off the indexing rings punched into the bracket. Cut the holes so they are a slot with openings to rear. Set gap to mag at a tight .038".
You can buy a stand alone pickup coil ( about any yamaha model application) for $40ish and splice it into harness to save more money. I would have done that hindsight.

Runs perfect again.

Back