Power valve rpm issue

Coutter67

Hi, thanks in advance. I recently cleaned my carbs and power valves on a 03 700 SX Viper and thought I would set my power valves. I know my throttle cable needs adjusting after pulling the carbs. When I fired up the sled the rpm’s were over 3000 and the tors was activating so I loosened the throttle cable until the sled idled properly. So this is my problem. I can’t seem to get the rpm’s down to 900 without stalling the sled. As soon as the rpm’s drop below 1600 the sled stalls. When I cleaned the carbs I replaced the Jets with new ones from a carb kit so I know the idle circuit is clean. Is there something in my throttle adjustment or maybe the Jets from the carb kit? Any help would be appreciated. Thank again.

Soon as I hit the choke it dies, but haven’t checked to see if the Servo opens up when that happens. Check that out tomorrow. Thanks

Well, tried using choke to drop rpm’s. The servo moved just before stalling but returned to its original position. Idle screw is backed off fully. Tried adjusting throttle cable and it’s backed off as much as I can get it without stalling the sled. I’m at a loss, anyone 😬

might be able to unplug the servo and jump it like this tool does from mpi.

VIPER & SRX POWER VALVE TESTER​

Now With OEM Connector; Only From MPI. This tool allows you to easily check and set your power valves properly to insure optimum engine performance. The tester plugs directly into the wiring harness with no modifications. Simply plug it in, hook up a 12-volt source and check your power valve settings. Detailed instructions & adjustment specifications included. The OEM Spec just isn't good enough! You must cycle the valves and set them by touch! Don't miss that extra stock HP!

Power Valve TesterUS-Dollars gtm-0300 All SRX and Viper

all the sleds i have done where viper er ones with the e start all intact.

might be able to unplug the servo and jump it like this tool does from mpi.

VIPER & SRX POWER VALVE TESTER​

Now With OEM Connector; Only From MPI. This tool allows you to easily check and set your power valves properly to insure optimum engine performance. The tester plugs directly into the wiring harness with no modifications. Simply plug it in, hook up a 12-volt source and check your power valve settings. Detailed instructions & adjustment specifications included. The OEM Spec just isn't good enough! You must cycle the valves and set them by touch! Don't miss that extra stock HP!

Power Valve TesterUS-Dollars gtm-0300 All SRX and Viper

all the sleds i have done where viper er ones with the e start all intact.
Mpi is an American company? Tried researching it but didn’t get much

Easy to make your own. If ya can wait till Friday I can get ya a pic and directions. Stuff is at cabin. If not do a search here, it’s somewhere but a old post. If I find it I’ll pass along.

Well I’ve gone through the carbs again, put OEM Jets back in and still having the same issue that I cannot idle the sled down to set power valves. Slides are moving the same with equal amounts of gap at the bottom. Tested boots with carb cleaner while running, no air leaks. Bypassed tors. I’ve read a ton of posts but none similar 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
When you idle sled down it will not stay running that low. Only for a couple seconds but it should be long enough to set PV. When you see them move with RPMs below that 900 mark kill sled right away if it don’t on own. If your trying to get it to run at below 900 RPMs it won’t happen. But it should set PV

When you idle sled down it will not stay running that low. Only for a couple seconds but it should be long enough to set PV. When you see them move with RPMs below that 900 mark kill sled right away if it don’t on own. If your trying to get it to run at below 900 RPMs it won’t happen. But it should set PV
ok, tried it again today and it flipped back before I could hit the kill switch. Started machine again and can’t get the servo to move again.

Easy to make your own. If ya can wait till Friday I can get ya a pic and directions. Stuff is at cabin. If not do a search here, it’s somewhere but a old post. If I find it I’ll pass along.
Do you still have the info on making the harness for adjusting the power valves. It seems that MPI is no longer in business. Thanks

Back