Pre-season start up / inspection....

Jack99

Today is a warm T-Shirt weather day in my north woods. For pre-season start, I "fired up" my 1999 Venture 600 triple, rotated its track a few times at fast idle, checked its lights, checked its brakes, etc. etc. Oh, its smell of burned 2-stoke fumes brought back lots of "the good old days" memories. No worries, I will restart its engine every 3 weeks - until the snow lands. Like many previous years, she runs great. And all its pre-inspection checks past inspections as well...

Reminder to others.... Do your pre-season checks in T-shirt weather temps as well..... Glad I removed its summer cover on a warm temp day....

Note: This year / season will probably be my last year on its seat. Of my original 6 member gang, I'm the only remaining active rider.

Last edited:

discovered that the et410 needs a new battery today.

i start them all every month or so and run them up to operating temp with spinning the track. then i get to the serious pre season and check all the idler wheel bearings and usually repack/replace as needed. repack all the speedo bearings and at minimum pull the seal and check the grease in the jack shaft bearing. fix whatever i find too well loved to keep using, then replace chain case oil, tension chain and grease it so that when the snow falls, they are ready to ride. generally pre season 8 sleds this way every year not counting ones i look at or help others with.

Back