Venture RS stalling

V'ride

2005 Venture RS with Carbs, 8000 miles. It runs perfect but "stalled" on me twice last winter when making right turns. Engine keeps running but won't rev from idle. Happens when turning full-lock right turn. Happens when turning hard full-lock right turn. Could this be TPS related? I have checked the throttle cable for clearance and it appears to be clear and free. I have not been able to replicate the problem, despite making many "full lock" right turns.

Last edited:

Definitely sounds like a Thors issue.
Adjust your throttle cable and check for it being stuck or hung up.
If the sled is still acting up ensure the throttle is free and returns to idle then bypass the thors switch by plugging the two wiring harness wires that go to the switch on the carb rack together. Caution bypassing the thors is only for trouble shooting and the sled should not be ridden in the bypass state.

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a TPS issue.
Adjust your throttle cable and check for it being stuck or hung up.
If the sled is still acting up ensure the throttle is free and returns to idle then bypass the thors switch by plugging the two wiring harness wires that go to the switch on the carb rack together. Caution bypassing the thors is only for trouble shooting and the sled should not be ridden in the bypass state.
Thank you for the response. I have checked the throttle cable for clearance and it is clear free. I have not been able to replicate the problem despite making many "full lock" right turns. So, not sure how I would "trouble shoot" doing the bypass?? Should I consider changing out the TPS or Thors switch??

I meant to say in my first post that it definitely sounds like a "Thors" issue. If its working now I would leave it alone. The whole idea of the Thors is to protect from the throttle sticking open because of a frozen or jammed cable. Maybe last year the cable was sticking so the system worked.

I would also give the throttle cable a hair more slack. I doubt it is a bad sensor for the TORS since it only happens on hard right turns, sounds more like throttle cable a bit too tight.
TPS is different than TORS.

Back