1979 exciter belt grabbing/dragging

kodi16

I am replacing the belt on my ex440. The new belt drags on the primary clutch and wants to take off as soon as it starts. Both belts are 1106 that I have been told is the correct size. When I pull the belt up in the primary the new belt grabs the sheeves. The old one doesn't. There are different numbers also stamped on the belt. Can Anyone tell me what those other #'s mean? both clutch measurements are in spec. 11MM offset and 10.5 in. center to center. I bought this used and have never had to replace the belt before. Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

measure the width of the new belt vs the old one.

had an issue back in 99 when i bought my enticer II. they kept giving me a dayco belt that fit a 87 503 skidoo and insisting it was correct. the only difference between them was the belt was wider than the one the sled actually took.

after looking in my paper royal dist cat, that sleds takes the same belt as all the enticer sleds, srv, exciter/phazers and up to 91 vk 540. surfed through port yamaha site and confirmed the up dated belt # on all those sleds 440cc and up.

Thanks for the heads up. The old belt was worn to 29mm the new one was 32. I borrowed a belt which measured 31 and that seemed to fix my problem. Its amazing that 1 mm would make such a difference but it did. My dealer originally told me to run the 32mm and it would wear in. He was probably correct but I couldn't keep it running at idle. Thanks for your help. I will look it up and get a new one coming. I use this sled for oce fishing and an occasional antique sled ride. Thanks again.

np. glad my old issue helped you solve yours. mine would stall when stopping at road crossings as i had to hold the brake to stop it. solved the issue by throwing on a spare 78 et340 belt i had laying around and then broke out the calipers and books to figure it out. took dayton over 5 years to fix the issue in the books.

Back