SX Viper exhaust on a Vmax Red Head

sideshowBob

VIP Member
I finally got around to installing a Viper pipe on my wife's 2002 Vmax.
I had done the typical reed spacer, head gasket layer removal, and silencer mod already on this Red Head and it ran very well.
I had this sled dialed right-in prior to the install so I will definitely know if there is any performance gain or loss with the Viper exhaust.
Unfortunately I had to use an aftermarket silencer as neither the stock Vmax or Viper silencer work for this application and that could hurt hp.
The good news is the Viper Pipe and aftermarket can are 4lbs lighter then the stock pipe and silencer.
The install was pretty simple and I think it definitely looks good...if nothing else.
tViper pipe 1.JPGViper Pipe 2.JPG

what can is that? I have a mbrp race can wondering if I could do the same! any modifications to get pipe to fit or is it pretty much straight forward bolt on? should say debating the idea because fines are getting expensive with the can. might just go back to the drilled out stock can. mbrp sounds amazing though

what can is that? I have a mbrp race can wondering if I could do the same! any modifications to get pipe to fit or is it pretty much straight forward bolt on? should say debating the idea because fines are getting expensive with the can. might just go back to the drilled out stock can. mbrp sounds amazing though

The sled has E start and Reverse and I have zero clearance issues.
I used an MBRP Trail can.
Very easy to install only mods were:
-I added a rubber hose on right side bumper brace for pipe brace to sit on
-I removed the cast in spring tab that's on the right side bulkhead as it was rubbing on underside of the Viper pipe
That's it...pretty simple.

Update:
We got at least 40cm[16"] of snow in the last few days and after doing a cleanup of our property I managed to get the Vmax out for a ride.
Our road is approx 1/4 mile long so I did a few full throttle runs down our road. The sled is definitely running very strong and really crisp on the throttle response, much more responsive then in previous seasons and pulls very hard at around the same max rpm on the short run as before.
The temps are warm, -5c or 23F, and the sled is running so well I will definitely richen it up a bit on the needles and main jet as we normally ride in much colder temps over the winter.
So far the Viper pipe installation has not been a failure, has leaned out the sled, and seems to like my original clutching so far. I will know better once the lakes are frozen and I can do proper testing.

Nice. I t does look good. Would be nice to verify on a dyno.
Unless the main nozzles have been replaced recently, I wouldn't waste your time raising the needles.

I wonder how the bender 4x4 would work in an application like this?

Either way, it's a win win!

I wonder how the bender 4x4 would work in an application like this?

Either way, it's a win win!
Bender 4X4 should work as well or better as its lighter, was at least equal hp to the stock Viper pipe, and was a direct no mod replacement for the Viper pipe.
As a side note when acquiring an after market can for the Viper pipe conversion it needs to be a Viper can...NOT an SXR red head can.

Update 2:

Had the VMax with the Viper pipe out today. Temps were -17C/0F and it is definitely leaned out a bunch over the stock Vmax exhaust. Just riding at part throttle it was lean to the point that it needed a touch of choke to run correctly. It seemed fine on the Pilot Jets. I also have remote adjusters on the pilots so I can always easily richen it up a bit.
I will now raise the needles from 3 to 3.5 and up the main jets one size.
A work in process for sure but fun dialing it in.

If you decide to take it to the dyno, I could chip in on the fee. I might do the same mod on my 01MM

No dyno available anywhere near where I live so that won't be happening. I will be jetting it "Old School" like I have done for decades.
The jetting is close already and once our lakes are safely frozen I will be able to do performance comparisons to how it performed last year with the stock pipe and same clutching.

No dyno available anywhere near where I live so that won't be happening. I will be jetting it "Old School" like I have done for decades.
The jetting is close already and once our lakes are safely frozen I will be able to do performance comparisons to how it performed last year with the stock pipe and same clutching.
Yes, the rpm should give you an indication whether it is making more power. Was the viper pipe a bolt on along with the silencer?

Viper pipe bolted right on with very simple mid pipe spring mount change. You have to use the Red Head original exhaust manifold and a Viper after market silencer to get it all to fit. The sled feels very strong with the Viper pipe but I will know better when I get a chance to do some real testing.

Thank you for doing this testing! If this does in fact produce more power, this could be an affordable and reliable option for those who don't want the sound and drop in fuel economy that comes with triple pipes.

We all look forward to seeing/hearing your results

Really looking forward to the results as well! Maybe you could post a sound clip too?

Back