2001 SXR parts sled acquired. What can be used on 98 XTC deluxe?

pfunctional

Hey guys. So I got an 01 SXR parts machine last night. About 2k miles with a melted piston. Track gone and the po destroyed the belly pan to take it apart but it came with a pretty nice skid and most everything else cept the muffler and half the front suspension. My XTCD is in storage still but I started tearing down the SXR today.

Carbs look pretty much the same. Different jets I assume. What about Clutches? At a glance the primary seems different. Useable?

Just looking into maybe rebuilding some of this stuff off to the side this season to keep some fresh parts handy for my ol redhead.. Not looking for hp gains right now, favoring reliability as it's a cruiser. I think the hot grips and console will be moving over first as one of my grips is shot and they tend to overheat.. the low/high and separate thumb control looks good.

Last edited:

for most part everything should be pretty much the same. go to totallyamaha.com click on tech pages and can find stock specs on all the sleds. tells you what gears were used, cluch weights etc.

Almost everything will interchange between the two sleds.
A couple things that wont be compatible on 700 SXRs that are 2001 and newer would be the CDI, Stator, wiring harness as the newer 700 SXR has the superior twin light system that has a higher output stator.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed the twin headlight unfortunately the housing was broken so won't be swapping any of that over. Isn't the SXR a power valve motor? I thought so but It appears to be a blacktop vs blue top which I haven't found much info on yet...

Thanks for the replies to my noobish post 😆

So do we know if the blacktop motor is basically the same as a redtop and would be a good spare for me if rebuilt?

If you indeed have a SXR it will have a non power valve Red Head motor unless somebody swapped it out.
Since 1997 the 700 SXs and SXRs all used the three cylinder one piece "Red Head" no power valve motors. From 1998 up the SRX 700 used the three individual "Blue Head" power valve motors. The SX Vipers were introduced with the one piece "Black Head" power valve motors.
It was not uncommon for people to install after market heads of various colors or paint the OEM heads on any of the engines

Ahh ok so since the head is one piece it should be the same as a redhead. Makes sense that I couldn't find info on a blacktop head as someone probably painted it. Makes sense since the Yamaha emblem is also missing. Thank you!

viper motor is single piece as well. one way to tell. does the radiator hose that goes to head have a big round thing on top of head? like a thermostat housing? if it does its a red head. if not its a viper motor ill see if i can find a couple pictures

Almost everything will interchange between the two sleds.
A couple things that wont be compatible would be the CDI, Stator, wiring harness as the 2000SXR has the superior twin light system that has a higher output stator.
my 2000 sxr has the single headlight system! I dont think they came out with the dual until later .

my 2000 sxr has the single headlight system! I dont think they came out with the dual until later .

You are absolutely correct...LoL...my memory failed me. The 2000 SXR 700s still had the single headlight so all the ignition components and engine components should interchange with the earlier 700 Red Heads.
If your SXR has a twin headlight housing then it is either 2001 or newer or someone swapped in the twin headlight housing.

YEP looks like its actually a 2001 .. Definitely an SXR and a black redhead. Thanks guys .... I pulled the head and the pto side piston is melted so its seized up pretty good.. lotta good parts though, I had a set of SXR skis that came on my sled actually.. one had a gnarly crack and ended up losing the back 1/3rd of the ski .. this sled came with one good ski so now i have a matching set... definitely a score for 50 bucks, lotta good spare parts ...

YEP looks like its actually a 2001 .. Definitely an SXR and a black redhead. Thanks guys .... I pulled the head and the pto side piston is melted so its seized up pretty good.. lotta good parts though, I had a set of SXR skis that came on my sled actually.. one had a gnarly crack and ended up losing the back 1/3rd of the ski .. this sled came with one good ski so now i have a matching set... definitely a score for 50 bucks, lotta good spare parts ...
wonder if it had a bad crank seal. i have over 10,000 miles on one of my vmax 700's and it just got to 100 psi accross all 3. picked up another sled the same exact color, year etc for $300 with 3,000 miles on it!! guy thought it was all messed up. I heard it run gave him the money, brought it home, loostened up throttle cable a little and has been a great sled for 4 years now haha.

I've seen a few 'black' redheads over the years. They appeared painted at first glance, but the actual reason they were black was because the engine had been run without coolant and overheated so much the red turned to black.

The seller said that the guy he got it from ran it out of oil but the oil was full so that seems odd. Possibly ran dry of coolant I guess no way to tell since the original owner cut the lines when he hacked it up taking the track off....

Last edited:
mystery solved on what happened to the parts sled. I was cleaning up the carbs and noticed a split in one of the heater lines between two of them ... took another look at the head and it definitely turned brown on the back side/more dull black on top... so looks like he ran her dry of coolant..possibly on a brutally cold day. whoops!!

Back