Which Carbide runner?

Jack99

I got 1999 Venture 2-Up (not studded track) with factory skis and do 98% groom trail riding and its current carbides are getting worn out. Thinking of replacing now.

With above in mind..... I found 2 different low replacements. Which one is best fit for my needs?

Also.... What is "angle" and its trail riding behaver / influence?

re:

Sold at Amazon.ca

Kimpex Carbide Runners 90 DEG Yamaha 500 540 600 700 1000 1050 1974-2014

• Number: 08-251-31
  • Fits on: Yamaha, Kawasaki
  • Angle - Center: 90
  • Package quantity: 2
  • Included U-blades: No

Sold at Consumer Distributing:

Woody's Extender lll 4" Carbide Runner - SKU: EYV3-6450

• 7/16" flat top runner with 4" of 60 degree turning carbide for trail touring.
  • Use with a lightly studded or un-studded track.
  • For Yamaha
  • Sold in pairs.

Last edited:

i tend to run the woodys or stud boy square bars with the 6" carbide on everything i can get them for. never paid much attention to the angle on the carbide but i do know the square host bar steers better than the round bars.

Thanks for your feedback. re: 6" is better than found 4". And Square Bar design is even better.

For 6" (for my 1999 Venture 600 2-Up), I found Woodys PN: TYV4-6450

Note: Lots of other google searches recommends 6" (instead of 4") on longer size 2-UP sleds as well.

Thanks for recommending 6" as well...

Last edited:
Update:

Today, I finally finished the old factory ski maintenance repairs (on my 1999 Venture 2-Up):

re:
- Buy / Install new 6" single bar carbides: Woodys PN: TYV4-6450
- Buy / Install new Plastic Ski Skins: Kimpex Ski Skins Black 08-438-20
- Power wire brush rust & Gloss Black rust paint (from local hardware store)

- Some screws and flat washers (from local hardware store)

Just need to install the skis via their horizontal pivot bolts (with lots of grease) this Monday. see below for pics...

Lesson learned: If planning a simple task of replacing carbides, do plan more "time & budget" for its other background domino adjacent maintenance tasks (like new skins and wire brushing & rust painting) as well.

Hope this helps others...

Attachments

• After-2.jpg
    After-2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 4
  • After-3.jpg
    After-3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4
  • After-1.jpg
    After-1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
good you got it done.

if i would have known you where fixing the steel skis, i would have offered to sell you a set off of a 09 phazer with a set of snow tracker carbides on them. they are 4th's spares as i run 09 mtx skis on pretty much everything they fit on.

Back