1997 Vmax 500 XT oil pump adjustment procedure

mdbauer62

Hi - just bought a one-owner 1997 Vmax 500 XT with under 3K on the sled. It's in really decent shape, but I want to give it a really good physical before the snow falls. So cleaning it up, carbs, pull and check skid (planning in installing a Doo SC4 ski), etc., etc. So many of these old machines are being parted out, I want to save at least one from the junkyard!!!

The prior owner mentioned it used a lot of oil, so I want to make sure the oil pump is adjusted correctly. Any advice on the procedure would be
much appreciated !

Note: I will be upgrading to VIP to access pdf files of service manuals. So, may find the procedure there, but if anyone has additional input, I would be interested to hear.

Thanks!!!!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

my 01 sx500r, when geared to vmax spec, on ipone synthetic oil it did use more than it did of motul synthetic witch did use a bit more that it did on dino oil at spec adjustment.

What's the top speeds of these 500s? Forced my 97 venture 500 ro 145 kph (90 mph) on the speedo, which is about 133 kph (82 mph) on gps.

well the 01 sx500r was geared to only run at 80mph even with a can on it. re geared to vmax 500 spec, it hit 95 mph in trail trim with no studs on a dragstrip

The last thing I want to do is make this into any kind of a thing between a very experienced person on this site that also gives great advice on a regular basis and I. Having said this, I do not believe this sled will be near the point of being limited by gearing. As far as I can tell, this sled comes with 21/39 gearing. If I am wrong on this then please correct me. We have a 98 XTC 500. Been in the family since new. I had the gearing at 21/39 for years. With this setup it ran 87mph at a 1,000 foot radar run several years ago. It was indicating about 95 to 96MPH on the speedo. With that gearing I also saw 102 on the speedo two different times. This was on dream conditions. "Slippery hard pack snow road about a mile long with just enough snow dust to keep the slides lubricated". I figure it was a real 92 to 93 MPH. I have since then dropped the gearing to 20/39. With this gearing I have seen as high as 98 MPH on the speedo in the same dream conditions. I regularly see 95 to 96 MPH on the speedo now. Both of the "Dream Condition" numbers calculate out to as much as 5% overdrive on the clutches which I know is not the most efficient for top speed but I prefer the lower gearing for trail riding. This sled is stock except for the reed stopper notch and some of the clutching advice from this site. It also has over 10,000 miles on the clock. These speeds have all been run in the last 3,000 miles. If you are running on snow pack across a lake 90 MPH on the speedo is not to bad. I guess we would need to know what the rpms are at when you are running on top end. Also a taller than stock track could limit your top speed some.

Hi - just bought a one-owner 1997 Vmax 500 XT with under 3K on the sled. It's in really decent shape, but I want to give it a really good physical before the snow falls. So cleaning it up, carbs, pull and check skid (planning in installing a Doo SC4 ski), etc., etc. So many of these old machines are being parted out, I want to save at least one from the junkyard!!! The prior owner mentioned it used a lot of oil, so I want to make sure the oil pump is adjusted correctly. Any advice on the procedure would be much appreciated ! Note: I will be upgrading to VIP to access pdf files of service manuals. So, may find the procedure there, but if anyone has additional input, I would be interested to hear. Thanks!!!!!!
Hi - just bought a one-owner 1997 Vmax 500 XT with under 3K on the sled. It's in really decent shape, but I want to give it a really good physical before the snow falls. So cleaning it up, carbs, pull and check skid (planning in installing a Doo SC4 ski), etc., etc. So many of these old machines are being parted out, I want to save at least one from the junkyard!!!

The prior owner mentioned it used a lot of oil, so I want to make sure the oil pump is adjusted correctly. Any advice on the procedure would be
much appreciated !

Note: I will be upgrading to VIP to access pdf files of service manuals. So, may find the procedure there, but if anyone has additional input, I would be interested to hear.

Thanks!!!!!!
My brother had a 98. I did a little porting and had iantomassi do some head work. Stock gearing I radared 104.

Remember to inspect and lubricate the oil pump drive on these twin engines as I have seen many wear completely away causing major engine damage!

Hi 74Nitro - thanks for the tip! I assume you would pull the oil pump from the engine to lubricate the drive?

I have a service manual from the admin, And I see instructions for bleeding the oil pump, but I do not see specific instructions on how to lubricate the oil pump drive. Any advice would be appreciated, and other tips would be very appreciated !

well the 01 sx500r was geared to only run at 80mph even with a can on it. re geared to vmax 500 spec, it hit 95 mph in trail trim with no studs on a dragstrip
The gearing on my venture is 19/39, still it went that fast. Considering gearing it up a tooth on top.

Hi 74Nitro - thanks for the tip! I assume you would pull the oil pump from the engine to lubricate the drive?

I have a service manual from the admin, And I see instructions for bleeding the oil pump, but I do not see specific instructions on how to lubricate the oil pump drive. Any advice would be appreciated, and other tips would be very appreciated !
Yes, just remove the two allan head bolts and inspect for wear, then lubricate.

01 sx500r was geared 21/39 factory.

the 00 vmax 500 was geared 22/39 factory.

i geared mine to the vmax specs as it was better top end and gas milage as i would fuel 3 times to the tripples once when running hard.

Back