Track and front heat exchanger

Drwe

I know this topic has been discussed before but I want to know where I can buy a set of protectors for the front heat exchanger for my '98 vmax 700. It appears that the previous owner removed them? At least I don't see anything that looks like a protector.

This sled came with a track that has studs, but is kind of rough looking, has some cracking in the rubber, would you run this track for a season or swap it?

Pics:

The studs can only touch that exchanger if the track ratchets over the drivers.
Top tunnel protectors are needed for sure however.

The studs can only touch that exchanger if the track ratchets over the drivers.
Top tunnel protectors are needed for sure however.
Yes, it has two large white plastic strips running down the top of the tunnel.

That track is on it’s way out. It may work for a while but you’ll be on borrowed time. Stud pull-throughs are the death knoll of tracks. I’ve seen tracks fail quite violently at speed. That’s when they will fail, at high speed. If you can afford to replace it, that would be best. Good luck.

I agree with Weather. No amount of tunnel protection is going to save you from damage when that track grenades, which is soon.

So, assuming I want to replace it what should I be looking for? I was wanting studs I think given I don't have the front heat exchanger protectors, should I be even more careful? Should I forgo studs and go with a 1.25" track? What size combinations will work for me?

I agree with Weather. No amount of tunnel protection is going to save you from damage when that track grenades, which is soon.
So, assuming I want to replace it what should I be looking for? I was wanting studs I think given I don't have the front heat exchanger protectors, should I be even more careful? Should I forgo studs and go with a 1.25" track? What size combinations will work for me?
You can buy the ice ripper tracks in either a 1 or 1.22 lug height.

if not racing, the ice ripper works well and has that bit extra bit without needing cooler protectors with good tension on the track.

Back