Possible to adjust needle position with carbs installed 99 Redhead

befarrer

Is it possible to adjust the needle position on a 99 Vmax SX with the 600 triple without removing the carbs and disassembling the rack? I had a look, and it seems like I have to lift the arm that connects to the rack out of the carb, to slide the pin out to gain access to the plate that holds down the needle. If that is the case, thats a bit of a pain in the butt.

When I do it, its usually with the carbs in place.
Very easy to do, make sure you have a ball end allen wrench (screwdriver type).
Makes the job alot easier.
You will need to move the throttle some with one hand to make getting the parts in and out easier.
DO NOT lose the white plastic washers that sit above or below the needle clip.
They can be almost impossible to see sometimes, Make sure you find both of them, should be 2 on each needle.

Looking at piston wash, mag side has only a little, where the other 2 have about the right amount. Main jets are stock, with mag side the larger one, was going to raise needle on mag side to see if it gets better. Just a test. I don't know where needles are set. 13,500km on sled

I pulled my carbs, I wrote down my jets last spring when I had them out and wrote down the jet sizes, but I missed my PTO jet, and I wrote down 60 pilot size. Should be a 42.5. it runs, starts and idles fine, pilot screws are set at 2 turns out. I confirmed I have Mikuni 60 pilots in this, they have the Mikuni square beside the number. Why would this have such large pilot jets in it?

Most likely it was used at a higher elevation, as you go leaner on main jet and richer on pilot when going up in elevation.

Back