93 phazer 2 reuse undamaged piston, or any suggestions for new pistons, this is for my 93 project phazer thanks

Hi I'm going through this sled, I knew and saw the pto side was scorched piston done cylinder was honed, there was remnants of a nest in the fan housing, oil in inj lines were full so I don't think that was a issue, but anywho I'm going through it anyway, thanks for your advice only my 2nd phazer project should be a nice sled when done.

Piston looks good just has wash on it, got another out of a 99 phazer 485, should I just use the gaskets out of the kit, or use a little sealer like ultra black or yamabond? Thanx

Piston looks good just has wash on it, got another out of a 99 phazer 485, should I just use the gaskets out of the kit, or use a little sealer like ultra black or yamabond? Thanx

I would use the new gaskets and new rings. You can use the old pistons as long as they have no ware on the sides.

i reccomend new rings as well. i ran a sled my dad rebuilt with used piston and rings with new gaskets and it did run great once you got it running but it would take a solid 5 min of pulling to get it going after its 1st cough.

Check your piston skirt to cylinder clearance. If it is within spec and the piston is in good shape then you should be fine re-ringing. If the clearance is over the ax spec you’ll risk piston slap and it may not last long

Regarding scorched PTO piston, I'd check the carb on that side to see if one of the jets was plugged or gummed up. If its not that, my guess would be a pto crank seal is letting in air and making it run lean. Or maybe a loose carb boot or leak where it mounts to the reed cage. Those rubber boots that mount the carb to the motor tend to deform, leak, and allow air to get sucked in leaning things out. But hard to say tho without seeing it

The reed boot on that side was bad I replaced it, also I believed the main culprit was a large mouse est in fan housing, I was able to clean up the affected cylinder with acid soak etc and a good hone, bore is still factory spec 2.83" got lucky waiting on pistons now to do too end crank is really smooth!

Back