88 exciter 570 - no power

Yambam12

Hello, I just bout a very nice condition 88 exciter for my father in law for Christmas. When I went to check it out it started and ran great. Got it home, yard drove fine. Now it will start and idle fine but when you try to accelerate it bogs down and won’t move. Also there’s plenty of white smoke. I already checked compression (110 psi both cylinders), has good spark, will run on one cylinder on either side, pulled and cleaned carbs, no change. I’m familiar with small engines and am pretty handy. I can’t figure out why it won’t accelerate. Track moves easy, I can move the sled forward with one hand by moving the secondary clutch so it’s not stuck, primary clutch seems fine. I think it’s flooding out or getting too much oil possibly. Any help would be great. This is my first Yammy. I noticed the electric wires on the carbs are not hooked up and neither of the decompression devices.

Update, it runs good after sitting for at least an hour. We can drive it around for 10-15min then no power. So either it’s trickling fuel into the bowls when parked and it gets used up when running (bad fuel pump) or something is happening when it warms up.

Side note, when it is running and at wide open throttle it seems a little hesitant.

a new primary spring would not hurt either as they get weak over time and can do werid things especially if the cluths have not been cleaned/serviced in awhile.

The previous owner said he refurbed the primary clutch. Also, it runs great cold (first 10min) then no power. Anybody else have this issue?

Hello, I just bout a very nice condition 88 exciter for my father in law for Christmas. When I went to check it out it started and ran great. Got it home, yard drove fine. Now it will start and idle fine but when you try to accelerate it bogs down and won’t move. Also there’s plenty of white smoke. I already checked compression (110 psi both cylinders), has good spark, will run on one cylinder on either side, pulled and cleaned carbs, no change. I’m familiar with small engines and am pretty handy. I can’t figure out why it won’t accelerate. Track moves easy, I can move the sled forward with one hand by moving the secondary clutch so it’s not stuck, primary clutch seems fine. I think it’s flooding out or getting too much oil possibly. Any help would be great. This is my first Yammy. I noticed the electric wires on the carbs are not hooked up and neither of the decompression devices.

Did this sled have the carb parts change up through Yamaha? Power jets plugged off. All different jetting. Main jets pilot jets. Nozzles ETC?

So, after putting the throttle needles at there lowest setting (least amount of fuel) it now only gets boggy if we let it sit for 3 solid minutes or more. So we just shut it off when we know we are going to make a stop. Has new float needle and seats so that isn’t the issue. It’s usable now, just have to shut it off at stops.

Would be nice to find a cold air intake kit. That would solve a lot of issues. Good Luck.

So, after putting the throttle needles at there lowest setting (least amount of fuel) it now only gets boggy if we let it sit for 3 solid minutes or more. So we just shut it off when we know we are going to make a stop. Has new float needle and seats so that isn’t the issue. It’s usable now, just have to shut it off at stops.
Get those main nozzles replaced! Should be series 247

Back