Rear Suspension Question

Maybe more of an overall question. My poor sled, 98 700 SX, has been sitting for 7 years in a semi trailer/container. The motor isn't seized, so that's good. The guy who has it will clean the carbs, drain the gas, chaincase, etc but it won't be getting any of the shocks rebuilt or the rear skid components replaced. It's 1300 miles away from me, I'll be going to get it here in about a month. I plan to ride it there unless he finds a show stopper. It ran great when I dropped it off, so as long as the mice didn't get too creative under the hood like they did with my seat I should be OK. Are the rear skid components still readily available? I.E. the shocks, springs, and aluminum shafts that need greased? I assume that's all shot. The shocks were all dead last I rode it, but I think I waited too long to pull the trigger on getting it ready to deal with that. I have a hangar out here in CO now so I plan to build a little loft to put it up on here so I can monitor for mouse damage and fire it up every so often. I know the fronts can be rebuilt, unless they're exceptionally worn, but I think the sled only has around 5000 miles on it. The rear shocks are what I'm unsure of. I'm pretty sure they're both cheap unrebuildable garbage? What are my options there? I know, it would be very helpful if I could just walk out to the garage and put eyes on it myself, but since I can't that's why I ask here.

well for the rears, you can grab the new kimpex ones for a rx1 03-04. you will have to move the transfer rod point as those are long travel shocks if your stockers are not aluminum bodied rebuildable ones.

give it a good greasing so that it purges from all the suspension pivot points and comes out clean before you jump on it to see if the suspension moves. odds are it will most likely be ok if it takes grease.

What's a common place folks source the kimpex shocks? What effects will relocating the transfer rod have on ride/handling? Are the RX1 shocks the best way to go?

i am in canada, so i do not have the same stores you do but i do see deniskirk pop up frequently as well as port yamaha.

might be a few old timers that will chime in on the long travel as i have never had to do it but just sounds like they just put the shocks in.

Is there a catalog, parts list, service manual, or something somewhere that lists the factory part numbers? Anyone got copies of the fisch diagrams posted somewhere?

At the top of the page click the "Yamaha Parts Finder" button, can enter the year and model to see all of the parts diagrams.

That's exactly what I was after, thanks! Ya know if I poked my head in more often I'd probably know/not forget these things.

The site changed some earlier this year, don't feel bad! I don't think it was there before.

I would rebuild the factory shocks, if it doesn’t look like they have leaked fluid out, they may just need a recharge.
Much better than kimpex in my opinion.

If they're the aluminum bodied ones, I've sent some I got off ebay to Hygear to be rebuilt. They did a pretty good job.

Back