‘97 Venture Lighting Coil Output

goingmach_1

VIP Member
I am now the proud owner of a used ‘97 Yamaha Venture 600. A barn find. Only 4K on the odometer since new. It has been stored for 9 years since I found it. That did come with some issues, like carburetors. Working on that.

In the mean time I would like to replace the headlamp as friends of mine who own or have owned these Ventures all complain about the lack of lighting output from the stock bulb. Research tells me the OEM bulb is a AC input. I have purchased a LED bulb from Easy Eagle. Its a 120W 20,000LM.

After looking at the forum postings with regard to this conversion some members have suggested that to take the brown wire off the backup horn and use that for DC power. I did do that, however bulb flickers. Doing some more digging looks like I need a capacitor to steady out the power before the bulb. Thinking that might domit.

questions:

1). Does any one know if I can just install a capacitor right inline on that brown wire going to the handlebar Hi/low switch. Would that stop the flickering?
2). If I instead took a 14g wire right from the battery to a toggle switch, then to the handle bar switch, would the battery act as a capacitor?
3). With this increased wattage for the LED bulb, will the lighting coil have the ability to still run everything?

Going through the posts I have yet discovered what the actual OEM stator output is, watts? Is it true a LED bulb draws less AMPS than a halogen bulb?

Thanks for any answers to my questions.

I can see a problem immediately. That system is not going to support a 120W light. Take it off before you burn the stator! The stator produces 175W to run EVERYTHING.

Thanks for that. been trying to find that Value. Your right, heated grips, front and rear, plus the LED, thats too much. Anybody know what the grips would consume wattage wise?

Not sure what those consume, but most led bulbs for sleds are like 35-40 watts and are nice improvements over stock.

Back