Testing ignition coils

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Is there any other way to test a sparkplug coil other than doing it according to the service manual? I have tested the primary and secondary windings on all 3 and they test in spec but there is a problem with at least one of them. I have been trying to sort out a high rpm stumble in my '98 SRX for years now and have finally put this on the top of the list to fix this year.I started swapping parts from my '01 onto the '98 to eliminate the obvious stuff.Both sleds have the same electronics as I have fitted an '01 system onto my '98.I started with reeds but still had the stumble so I moved on to the coil set and believe I have it sorted. The limited amount of testing I could do seems to show the stumble gone with my '01 coils on, so now I have to try and pinpoint the problem coil on the '98 set. First thing I should ask though is are the coils the same for all years of the SRX's? I don't want to rule out my problem as just being a case of using coils from a '98 electrical system on the updated 300 watt system. But if the coils are all the same across the production years then I need to try and find the bad coil by testing with my ohm metre,ideally,or by swapping one at a time out until the stumble disappears.

Is there any other way to test a sparkplug coil other than doing it according to the service manual? I have tested the primary and secondary windings on all 3 and they test in spec but there is a problem with at least one of them. I have been trying to sort out a high rpm stumble in my '98 SRX for years now and have finally put this on the top of the list to fix this year.I started swapping parts from my '01 onto the '98 to eliminate the obvious stuff.Both sleds have the same electronics as I have fitted an '01 system onto my '98.I started with reeds but still had the stumble so I moved on to the coil set and believe I have it sorted. The limited amount of testing I could do seems to show the stumble gone with my '01 coils on, so now I have to try and pinpoint the problem coil on the '98 set. First thing I should ask though is are the coils the same for all years of the SRX's? I don't want to rule out my problem as just being a case of using coils from a '98 electrical system on the updated 300 watt system. But if the coils are all the same across the production years then I need to try and find the bad coil by testing with my ohm metre,ideally,or by swapping one at a time out until the stumble disappears.
I've never had a lot of success testing those, I just replace them.
However, they rarely fail.
I've also always found the oem to be much superior in quality.

I have a couple Viper coils I bought last year and they're the same as the SRX ones so I'll be using them to swap with.I don't have much faith in the aftermarket stuff either.I'm not ruling out a possible issue with the short wire harness that connects the coils to the main chassis harness either but right now I'm doing my testing in between having snow around here right now.We get enough to cover the ground and it stays for a couple days then rains.Been another one of those winters for us.

Yes, and I was also thinking check the harness under the engine. Also in the footwell area where the CDI wires rub

I had the wire harness out a couple summers ago and went through every inch of it just to rule that out.I re taped and added extra protection with split wire loom to all the problem areas so I had ruled that out as one source of my problem.I wish I had had more time today to test a couple other things.I really wanted to try swapping the coil wire harness to see if there actually is something wrong with it or not but that'll have to wait til next time.If it didn't take so long to take the airbox out, pull the carbs back and remove the coils to change the short harness I could have done it today.But I feel better knowing I'm on the right track and making progress to sorting this problem, that has plagued me for too long now, out.

Back