Engine dying out

snowman_959

2000 Yamaha Mountain Max 700, 6000 miles, unplugged key ignition, no lights on the dash, RPM meter doesn't work but MPH meter works, headlight and taillight works great. It will ride great for about ~10 miles of riding but then after 10 miles, the engine will die out even if I throttle it. Same thing happened on the ~10 mile trip back and again the same thing happened when I first got it that was back in January 2021, drove ~10 miles, then the engine shut off. I will wait for a minute or two and it will ride good. I don't know why it does that?

I had stator issues but mine would foul plugs—— really I had stator and choke/enrichener cap issues at the same time —fouling plugs non stop—- but it never just died—— makes me wonder if your stator is opening up enough after it heats up enough to kill it???? enrichener caps are plastic and will crack so the plunger does not return all the way so it’s like running with a bit of choke…Tod

It sounds like a stator and or wiring harness rub through issue but it also could be as simple as the fuel tank vent being plugged and as fuel is used the tank creates a negative pressure and won't flow fuel until it sits for a bit.
You could try loosening the fuel cap when its starts running poorly and see if improves.

Good call on the fuel vent—- yes try what ssbob said—- the wire rub through I remember being an issue on the srx but not the redhead….. Tod

Not entirely sure what might be going on here, but years ago I recall this happening if guys used the B9ES instead of BR9ES

Sorry for the late response but my thoughts were on the stator as well but we are in a cold spell and I haven't taken a look at the wiring harness yet. The next time I ride I will try opening the gas cap. Almost two months ago, I started it -30F and it took about 80 pulls then warmed it up and went on the trail and not so long after a plug fouled. Swapped them with BR9ESSolid and it had run well. We are supposed to get warmer temps at the end of this week and will be riding again.

I forgot to mention it does have high bar risers and using that before my partner's mountain max 700, it makes her handlebars feel super low. The oil cable looks to be stock and it does uses a LOT of oil. Could the oil be too rich, that's why it wants to die out? I haven't adjusted the oil cable before and would the same hardware work on it without the bar risers?

After two days of riding, everything had seem well. Before every ride, I have to stick together the oil cable and then after I park it it will be split. Is than normal? And I did measure the gap and it was 7/8 of an inch and I did check the plugs and they all were black and wet. If the gap is where it should be, why is my snowmachine using so much oil and on takeoffs, it will leave a cloud of smoke.

turns out TORS was one issue and the oil cable is not long enough. I got hardware on order to take off the bar risers. I couldn't find 4 bolts that would fit but thank you all! I travelled maybe 25 miles with no issue and it was awesome lol

2004 Venom with 7000 miles. Having some similar issues. just got back from a 500 mile bag trip in the UP. A few times during the trip the sled would die. I would turn the key off then back on while still moving, give a little gas and it would fire right back up. would you think it is electrical? Other than this, this sled has performed flawlessly for the past 10 trips.

2004 Venom with 7000 miles. Having some similar issues. just got back from a 500 mile bag trip in the UP. A few times during the trip the sled would die. I would turn the key off then back on while still moving, give a little gas and it would fire right back up. would you think it is electrical? Other than this, this sled has performed flawlessly for the past 10 trips.
Check harness under the motor.

Back