2003 Sx Viper Mountain widening ski stance?

3oh6

I recently purchased the above sled and would like to widen the ski stance as I will not be using it in the mountains and would like the added stability. The Mountain version was purchased due to the 144" track and the fact that where it is used there are few groomed trails. I understand that I will need to replace the radius and tie rods, would the shocks need to be replaced as well? How about the anti-roll bar (sled isn't at home to check if the Mountain version comes with one) I would imagine that if it didn't come with a anti-roll bar one should be added. If buying used parts would they have to be from a Sx Viper or which other donor sleds will be compatible? Thanks for your help in advance.

sx viper would be your donor for the trailing arms and radius rods. tie rods could come from any sxr, vmax srx.

the shocks could be re used but will limit the travel. viper was the only sled with the u style upper shock bracket.

i have done cb performance aluminum kit on the front of an sxr and a viper. other than the shocks, it comes with all the parts to do this job.

you could always do like my youngest brother did and weld extension ears onto the stock trailing arms to make it the wider ski width.

I wasn't aware that I would also need to change the trailing arms as well , I can't find the performance aluminum kit that you mentioned on their website. Thank's Maim, perhaps it would have been easier to extend the track or put a different skid on a regular Sx Viper(121"?). I might just have to live with the ski stance as it is......I don't put on huge kilometers. I couldn't pass up this sled as it has a Boss seat and Bender triple pipes that was owned and setup by a Yamaha technician from Edmonton. It also has a Holtzman Vari-Flow although I can't locate much information regarding this, the sled pulls really hard and seems to run well.

Last edited:

is where you looked? seems like they are still offering the kit when contacted.

Yes, I saw the trailing arms. I didn't see a kit other than the aluminum spindles.....going this route is a little too spendy especially considering that is in US dollars/shipping/customs duty instead of Canadian pesos for the amount that I ride. I'll keep looking on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace for some less pricey parts. Thanks again.

Last edited:
np. when i did it to my sx500r, the kit was the same price as getting all oe yamaha stuff for my sled new. it had loved a tree with some one else riding it and it did lighten the front up.

I recently purchased the above sled and would like to widen the ski stance as I will not be using it in the mountains and would like the added stability. The Mountain version was purchased due to the 144" track and the fact that where it is used there are few groomed trails. I understand that I will need to replace the radius and tie rods, would the shocks need to be replaced as well? How about the anti-roll bar (sled isn't at home to check if the Mountain version comes with one) I would imagine that if it didn't come with a anti-roll bar one should be added. If buying used parts would they have to be from a Sx Viper or which other donor sleds will be compatible? Thanks for your help in advance.
For what it's worth now (10 months later!).....

I have a Mountain Viper that sees quite a bit of trail riding. My learning curve was slow and I tore the front end up the first year I owned it. After replacing / fixing control arms, radius arms, etc, I added the anti-roll bar that is NOT standard on a factory Mountain sled. I found a used bar on eBay and bought the other parts needed from Partzilla. (bushings, mounting bolts, rivets, etc) for not so much money. It rides great on trails now. That would be the only recommendation I have for it. A wider ski stance may not be worth the expense if you don't ride a ton of miles to really notice it.

Back