Loose starter ring gear on primary clutch

ClayNation

Hi -

I have a 2002 VMax 700. The starter ring gear on the backside of the primary was rattling, so I removed the primary clutch and found that the six bolts holding the ring gear on have been backing out. The bolts must have been loose for a while where the heads wore a counterbore at different depths into the face of the gear. When I removed, cleaned, and put the screws back in, they bottomed out on the backside of the sheave and the ring gear was still loose...I believe because of the worn area under the bolt heads. I know I should put new screws in, however I was using the old as a check.

Has anyone run into this? I am wondering if I can flip the gear around, or if there is another safe fix? New ring gears are quite expensive.

Thank you.

the above was my fix. got it lasting so far but am on my 3rd primary on that sled from that issue. has 5700 mi on it now with about 2500 on the fix. it is a common issue in the e start 2 strokes.

Nice fix maim.
This was a problem in the late nineties when I worked at the dealer. They(Yamaha) sent out a bottoming tap to make sure the threads were clean along with super high strength loctite.
And new bolts. The odd one still wanted to come loose.

Last edited:

the above was my fix. got it lasting so far but am on my 3rd primary on that sled from that issue. has 5700 mi on it now with about 2500 on the fix. it is a common issue in the e start 2 strokes.
Awesome - Thank you!

I had a 2004 sx venom come in. Didn't stop with the noise, gear sheared the bolts, caused a coolant leak, destroyed the starter and slightly damaged the lower tab on crankcase!

Back