98 vmax 700 xtcd clutching setup

Drwe

I got my sled out for the first test drive finally about a week ago. I noticed it was topping out at about 80mph on the lake with 18 inches of snow, should these go faster? I didn't think to check rpms at top speed, I will check that this weekend. I am wearing in the lugs on my new track down a bit still against the tunnel protectors near the front of the tunnel, probably less than 1/8" interference to wear down (only touching at the last few inches of tunnel protector) I'm not sure if this is costing me some top end also.

It does seem to get to 80 pretty quickly but I'm new to sledding so I cant really judge.

My primary clutch has a silver dot on it, and my secondary clutch has a red dot on it.

I notice on the secondary, the wear marks on the helix stop short of the end, is this normal?

My belt is just about flush with the O.D. of the secondary, engagement rpm is about 4500 and my belt is about 1.350" wide (all seems fine to me).

Not sure if these mean anything but I have the numbers 8BW on the primary and 8BV on the secondary, maybe someone can tell me the helix angle and what that means for my setup.

I'm not sure how to tell what weights are on the primary.

What can anybody tell me about this clutching setup I have at the moment here?

Thanks!

1643338493513.png

1643338440978.png

1643338394793.png

that secondary is not opening all the way. have you checked how the clutches move without the springs installed? must move freely by hand or causes issues.

that secondary is not opening all the way. have you checked how the clutches move without the springs installed? must move freely by hand or causes issues.
It feels fairly stiff but it feels like stiff spring pressure.

Actually, I'll say I can move it pretty freely with a bit of effort. Maybe this means it's the primary not closing all the way?

Last edited:
I'll do a more thorough check this weekend including rpms, all I can remember as of now is that it shot up to 80 and then held there without going up.

take it apart and re install the helix without the spring. it must slide freely without any sticking. if it hangs up at all, it will not perform correctly. seen them plugged up with belt dust and corrosion.

Yep I was able to free up the secondary, got up to 90-95mph at about 8k rpms, I think it probably would keep climbing but that was fast enough for me. The pull between 60 and 80mph is extremely strong.

Back