Srx clutching question

Lester

I have an 02 SRX,have 8DN20s with 4.5 grams in both holes,yellow green yellow primary,just want to get the rpm down,its at 8700,how much more weight do I need to add?and to where,both holes or just the tip?

you want to add about 1 gram to the tips according to what i was told when reclutching a different sled.

what helix are you using with that? you want 8500, no more. if you add a washer to the tip of each rivet it would bring the rpm down. If your helix is low finish thats why its over revving on top, thats why i asked.

Not sure on the helix,sled came with a team secondary,had bender yellow -blue primary spring.I put the 8 dn20s in with 4.5 s and the yellow-green yellow primary, sled pulls hard,only thing is the over rev.

Hack doesn't have any rivets heavier than 3.5 they give you screws with nuts ,I have 4.5 gram rivets and some .9 gram 6 mm washers to use,just wanted to do it once,only have 3 4.5 rivets

Using a nut and a bolt and a washer, I am able to get 6-7 grams on pretty much any weight, even stock ones, it's just that they are not threaded, so the bolt has to be smaller so it fits the hole. Usually I only do this on hauck adjustable weights.

8700 is the upper limit, but I wouldn't call it over revving.
98-99 SRX you don't want over 8500, but the 00-02 could rev a little more.
Over 8700, and you are going past your peak power.

you will find that 98-99 srx make peak hp 137hp at 8350 rpm, not 8500rpm. 2000-02 srx make peak 140hp at 8500rpm. Going to 8700rpm and you begin retarding the timing from cdi box, so no, 8700 is not good. You want the initial hit to be 8100rpm(peak torq.) out of the gate and climb to 8500rpm.

Not sure on the helix,sled came with a team secondary,had bender yellow -blue primary spring.I put the 8 dn20s in with 4.5 s and the yellow-green yellow primary, sled pulls hard,only thing is the over rev.
the over rev is likely the high secondary spring tension from the sec. clutch. just add some weight to the tips. if your worried about buying rivets just put a small dab of mig weld on the steel rivet end and grind the weld to all 3 weights the same. add about .75 to 1 gram on the tip rivet.

We're splitting hairs really. I have the 2000 Yamaha technical update book in front of me. HP graph showing 8700 peak HP
My personal experience of top speed on these(trail or lake) was 8700 gave best performance for the 00-02 and 8500 for 98-99
In drag racing 500 feet, it was slightly lower as the pipes weren't heat soaked.

Lester, got your message. You have a 35/118 spring in there now with that aluminum spring shim, it raises not only the engagement speed but your shift rpm as well. If you like the 4000 rpm engagement speed the answer to your problem is to replace the yellow/silver/yellow spring with a white/white/white primary spring and REMOVE the shim. This will retain your 4000 engagement but lower your shift rpm. If you simply remove the shim it will lower your engagement and shift rpm but... engagagment may be bit low with only 35kg start on spring.

So I now have 5.9 grams of weight in both holes of those 8 DN 20s with the w w w primary spring,pulls hard to about 8400 -8500 then climbs to 8700. Thing is way to much fun on the trail,hooks and goes carrying the skies ,guess ill bite the bullet and get some heavy hitters.I can't wait till end of season to pull top end apart to just see what was done.I have had 4 srxs and one was ported and none ever ran this hard.

You could always try a helix wiht a steeper end angle or a primary spring with less end force.

the over rev is likely the high secondary spring tension from the sec. clutch. just add some weight to the tips. if your worried about buying rivets just put a small dab of mig weld on the steel rivet end and grind the weld to all 3 weights the same. add about .75 to 1 gram on the tip rivet.
dr vip,no heat use jam nuts bolts if needed washers.. get a gram scale....

Back