2001 sx700r electric starter

Rick0655

Hi everyone. i'm trying to put an electric starter on a 2001 sx700r and its not going so good. the starter shaft is rubbing against the plastic of the sled. i read thru some of these forums and found people talking about motor mount bolts breaking so i thought i must have a bad mount but upon inspection i do not see any problem with them. the bolts are not broke and they are setting tight against the motor mount bracket and the body but i did however notice there is just over an 1/8 inch gap between the rubber damper and the engine. it almost seems like the motor should be lifted up some, i assume the damper should be touching the engine and it looks like it was and if it was then the starter shaft should have enough room and not hit the plastic. this is a 2001 sled but only has 1000 miles on it and i'm pretty positive nobody has had this apart and changed any mounts or anything else. i've included some pictures so you can see more about what i'm talking about. the starter i picked up used #8CW-81800. the part number sees right according to the yamaha deals parts list. besides for inserting a spacer between the lower mount and the engine to push the engine back up against the rubber damper i'm not sure what else to do. the sled has no evidence of ever being damaged in anyway. has anyone seen this before? i'm not sure how long the gap has been between the damper and the engine, maybe its suppose to be like that. if it wasn't for trying to put electric start on i would not have even noticed that. thanks

Attachments

• RubberDamper (6).JPG
    RubberDamper (6).JPG
    169 KB · Views: 7
  • Starter (3).JPG
    Starter (3).JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Starter (8).JPG
    Starter (8).JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 7

Start with an engine alignment.
There shouldn't be any gap in that rubber mount stop to the case.
I've done hundreds of engine alignments on these things over the years, and found that in all cases the rubber torque stop would be butted up against the case.

Back