Oil ratio

goingmach_1

VIP Member
I have aquired a ‘97 600 twin Venture. Right off the get go noticed it uses TOO much oil. Just checked and after topping of the tank, topping off the oil reservoir, I went for a short ride. Then measured 1200ML of gasoline, and 700ML of oil back to full. My math says thats 1.71:1. Thats crazy.

Could it be the oil pump is stuck wide open, like full on? The oil cable appears to be moving correctly.

ideas?

is the arm on the motor aligned? cannot remeber the throttle position as it has been 15 years since i have been near one but there is an arm with a line on the right side of engine.

From what I have read these oil pumps fail wide open which could be your problem. I have the same issue on my 95 and have an updated pump to install.

Here is some info from a thread on this issue for the 97 VMax 600 from back in 2007.

Here is the info you need. unfortunately you need much more info than the first few digits.

8CR-13100-01-00 (replaces 8CR-13100-00-00)

the first one listed is the revised updated pump, and the "replaces " one is the original one. IMHO, Yamaha should have replaced these free under warranty, but they did not.

like was said before, they fail rich when they fail, so if yours uses a half an oil tank worth of oil for 1 tank of gas, it's definitely needing replacement. Mine did not start out as rich as that, but it got worse oil usage as the miles piled up. It has 8k on it now, and only like half that when we got it a few years ago.

Back