Yamaha OEM Plastic Skis on 1999 Vmax 700

ClayNation

I am wondering if there is an issue with putting later model Yamaha OEM plastic skis on a 1999 Vmax 700.

Vmax skis were upgraded to plastic in 2001, however looking at the 2001 technical update, the spindle length was also increased by 37mm to accommodate for the pivot point being lower into the ski (assuming to keep the sled height the same). I have a 2003 Vmax 600 with the plastic skis, which I love...I switched the 2003 skis to my 1999 Vmax to see if there was any difference. The fit of the skis was identical with also switching the rubber stopper and bolt - The plastic skis are a really nice upgrade, so I would like to acquire new skis for my 1999 Vmax.

I am wondering if there is any concern with using the later model plastic skis with the shorter spindle length of the 1999 Vmax? I checked on the Kimpex site for plastic skis - the exact same ski and kit is used for the 1999 and 2003 Vmax sleds, so my guess is that the 37mm does not matter - however I am wondering what more knowledgable people have to say...and wondering if a lower sled makes a difference and / or suspension adjustments should be made.

Thank you!

i did it on my 01 sx500r as i wanted the wider skis from the vipers for better flotation in the powder.

what i was told/found was that they drop the height about 1/2" lower from the different saddle/bolt height. if using sr viper/sidewinder skis, they are the same height as the stockers for the bolt. any deltabox/proaction skis (02-2010) are the ones that will have the lower bumper height.

I am wondering if there is an issue with putting later model Yamaha OEM plastic skis on a 1999 Vmax 700.

Vmax skis were upgraded to plastic in 2001, however looking at the 2001 technical update, the spindle length was also increased by 37mm to accommodate for the pivot point being lower into the ski (assuming to keep the sled height the same). I have a 2003 Vmax 600 with the plastic skis, which I love...I switched the 2003 skis to my 1999 Vmax to see if there was any difference. The fit of the skis was identical with also switching the rubber stopper and bolt - The plastic skis are a really nice upgrade, so I would like to acquire new skis for my 1999 Vmax.

I am wondering if there is any concern with using the later model plastic skis with the shorter spindle length of the 1999 Vmax? I checked on the Kimpex site for plastic skis - the exact same ski and kit is used for the 1999 and 2003 Vmax sleds, so my guess is that the 37mm does not matter - however I am wondering what more knowledgable people have to say...and wondering if a lower sled makes a difference and / or suspension adjustments should be made.

Thank you!
I am looking to upgrade my 96 vmax to plastic skis also.I would prefer to buy some used, if someone will tell me what would fit, thanks

for a 96 vmax, go with the sr viper or sidewinder stock skis as you will need the height to clear the tss in the ski. been there done that on my 97 et410. might need some washers for the sleeve to be spaced out enough. i just took some stock ski sleeves from a sx/viper/srx/rx1/apex and machined them down to fit in the stock bushings leaving a step on it to take up the space between the ski and the spindle.

Last year I put lightly used 2011 Apex skis on my '98 Vmax 700, it was what I could get on short notice at a good price. Is this an ideal setup? Probably not, however I put 900mi on last season, about 70% groomed trails and on the trails performance was very good. I'm a small guy only 150, so in combination with a slightly forward leaning stance I was not getting as much flotation in deep stuff as I might like.

I've got a new 1.25 track on it and I am considering loosening the limiter straps or increasing(?) preload on the center shock (skid) to try and increase weight transfer. I'm not sure what the best approach would be to take for that so any advice would be appreciated.

add 1 turn on the preload on the centre shock until you get it how you like. do you know when the shocks where last serviced?

i would check the rear shock setting by making sure it is around 50/50 on the transfer rods with you sitting in your prefered riding position with the sled on the floor for the best ride/performance.

add 1 turn on the preload on the centre shock until you get it how you like. do you know when the shocks where last serviced?

i would check the rear shock setting by making sure it is around 50/50 on the transfer rods with you sitting in your prefered riding position with the sled on the floor for the best ride/performance.
Thanks, yes I rebuilt the skid before last season, including getting the rear and center shocks rebuilt. I loosened the preload on the rear shock until it was 50/50 on the transfer rods. With the adjuster set to the middle position. I didn't want to start changing anything randomly since it was my first season sledding and I mainly was focused on getting everything in spec. Now I'm more interested in what changes I can experiment with to improve handling. I can't remember what I set the center shock to, I think it was just at zero preload before installing it in the skid.

well now you are at the tuning for personal preferance. add 1 full turn at a time until it is handling how you want it to. might need to let out the straps 1/4-1/2" on the front of the skid but i would wait until you have tried it with at least 4 turns into it.

Regarding the original post though, can Viper spindles (8EK-23803-00-00) be used with Vmax trailing arms (8CR-2382E-03-00) with a machined spacer (on the cheap) at the bottom of the spindle to account for the difference in spindle height? Or is there some other difference between the trailing arms of viper and vmax? Or is this just a bad idea?

Edit: I see that the splines are different on the viper steering arms and spindle, so steering arms would also be required. It's probably better to just look for a whole set off a viper including the trailing arms.

Besides having less clearance for obstacles, how is performance hurt with the lower front end? I used it all last season with the lower front end and I wonder how it would be different after swapping trailing arms.

Last edited:
my 01 sx500r had the lower front end with stock 02 viper skis and i found it handled great. never noticed any difference when swapping between it and my brothers 02 viper. i know the sxr stock skis are tall enough to use on tss vmax sleds as are the sr viper/sidewinder skis without modifications that the 02 viper skis need to work on those sleds. been there, done that.

Back