Rebuildable shocks?

ceekay

I have a few pro-action sleds, and my 1998 700 XTC rear end acts like a pogostick. Pulled the skid, and the front shock seems 'ok', but the center shock is shot.

I know from research the aluminum bodied, threaded, collar-adjust shocks that I have are rebuildable, but can't find anything online in terms of parts. I'm familiar with rebuilding dirt bike shocks.

Is this something I just have to send to a local suspension shop to get rebuilt? Best I can find is about $100 per shock which seems kinda steep for something I *think* I know how to do.

Anybody try rebuilding these themselves? I'm okay with forking over the cash if I need to, just want to make sure I can't do it myself. Also curious where they would get parts for it - who makes these shocks...?

depends where you are.

i love cannondale's work (shock doc) when i can afford to get them to him as i am in northern ontario and he is in wisconsin and the cross boarder shipping can get spendy quick. he is the man i trusted with a set of olins that broke a shaft that needed fixing. took him a year from parts delays but he got them done. rode the season on a back up set i have and cannot wait to ride it this year with the olins back on it. he does my fox float and gytr's for my apex and when parts are in his stock, it is usually less than a week turn around unless he is swamped.

here in ontario, there are a few guys i know of but only used shock tec for my other apex shocks and my motorcycle. there is a local guy to me that does them but have not used him yet.

i reccomend getting them all done as it makes a huge difference in the ride. shocks are KYB according to the sales brochure.

Yes, they are KYB.
If they don’t look like they have been leaking oil, you may be able to just recharge them as well.
I have done that on many sets.

Yes, they are KYB.
If they don’t look like they have been leaking oil, you may be able to just recharge them as well.
I have done that on many sets.

I've had that done on my fronts before, but they leak right back down. I'm in the same boat right now, but need all 4 gone through I think.

Well I ended up gutting all 3 sleds, taking the worst of all my parts including the suspension, putting them into my twin, and selling it as a cheap beater sled. Couldn't justify $75-100 a piece for shock rebuilds on sleds that just aren't worth much.

Now I'm left with 2 fully gone-through triples with reverse that have half-working suspension... Not pogosticks, but not great. Gonna deal with these for the season and probably move on to newer sleds I can find lots of parts for.

I just hope the newer machines are as fun as these readhead triples...

Are the Ohlins any worse to rebuild than the KYB? I just got my hands on a set dirt cheap. High miles, but they may actually be good to go as is. They're on a parts sled I bought.

I dont think so, as I sent my Front Ohlins on my XTC to a place in MN to be rebuilt.
Cant recall what the charge was.

Back