'92 Ovation Mikuni VM34 Carb Swap - What throttle cable?

JP_YFZ

Good Day All,

I'm swapping to a Mikuni VM34 on the kid's '92 Ovation. To those that have done this, what throttle cable did you use to keep the oil injection and run oil pump? Or did you delete the oil injection and pump?

Thanks!!
Jake

I ended up going back to the stock carb.... I don't remember what I had for jetting, but nothing I tried worked out. I could not get the sled to run right with the VM-34. The biggest issue was fuel would pour out the overflow when at higher RPM. I swapped to smaller main and needle jets and adjusted the float a bunch of times, no go. I think the angle that the carb was at, using the ET-340 manifold was just too steep. Also, I think the carb may have been too large. An ET carb would have worked fine I'm sure. I removed the oil injection too because I was struggling to find the right throttle oil pump cable combination. It turned out to be a waste of time for me. I had done a 121 skid and track swap on it too, so I was fairly sick of messing with it. LOL.

My reason for swapping carbs in the first place was because the choke plunger was corroded in the stock carb and the brass fingers broke off when I attempted to remove. I soaked it in parts cleaner for days, still wouldn't come out. The rest of the carb was in decent shape, so I left the plunger in there and put a bolt in the cable fitting to plug the hole. I bought a primer plunger, drilled two taps in the intake, then plumbed it in. Sled runs great now.

Driver part numbers and some pics attached if anyone's interested in swapping to a 121 2.52 track. That was pretty easy, I used a 1992 venture XL skid and 1.25" rip saw track I had laying around off my old nytro. I didn't modify the tunnel, other than moving the rear mounting brackets back and bending up the tail piece the flap rivets to. No rubbing or issues. I did have to cut the spring collars (part the rear bushing & bolts goes in) down on the skid about an inch or so on each side.

Attachments

• Drivers.jpg
    Drivers.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Riding.jpg
    Riding.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Skid.png
    Skid.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Sled.jpg
    Sled.jpg