'01 SXr 600 Jetting (stock engine)

Polishmafiaboss

VIP Member
Hey guys! I have an '01 SXr 600 that is finally getting some attention on the carbs. Pulled them off the sled and started into it. (They're actually pretty clean, all things considered.) My dilema: what mains and pilots should be in this sled? The rebuild kit I have came with 42.5 pilots and the following mains: 133.8 (1), 136.8 (2) and 138.8 (2). If I remember correctly, PTO cylinder should be a lower main than center and mag side. Pilot screws were all over the place as well. (1-7/8 // 2.0 // 2-1/8) Is there a good starting point for these? I'd rather it run just a tad on the rich side than not.

I don't ride much below 0 degrees and for most of Michigan, I would think 300-1,700ft elevation would work fine.

Thanks for any help! (It seems the 700's are more common with info on here. Not many asking questions about the 600's!)

Ray

EDIT: The main's that are in it now have nothing on them I can see for data. I would think they are the originals and pretty wore out.

Hey guys! I have an '01 SXr 600 that is finally getting some attention on the carbs. Pulled them off the sled and started into it. (They're actually pretty clean, all things considered.) My dilema: what mains and pilots should be in this sled? The rebuild kit I have came with 42.5 pilots and the following mains: 133.8 (1), 136.8 (2) and 138.8 (2). If I remember correctly, PTO cylinder should be a lower main than center and mag side. Pilot screws were all over the place as well. (1-7/8 // 2.0 // 2-1/8)..........
Further info I found (for FREE!) The owners manual I found on Yamaha's Owners manual website actually had some info on carb settings:

Pilot Screw is 2.0 turns out (Standard)
Main Jets: 136.3 (PTO) , 133.8 for #2/3.

No info listed for the Pilot Jet size.

Here are a couple photo's of the 3 parts of the manual that detail these.

SX600R_Jetting_1.JPG

SX600r_Jetting_2.JPG

SX600r_Jetting_3.JPG

Hopefully I was just reading the new jets wrong and the kit included the correct jet sizes for the Mains. (Small print, crappy eyesight and old age make reading the small stuff HARD!!)

I hope this may help someone else in the future :geek:

Ray

Last edited:
lol part of the tec page on here witch also has mods listed with results for a lot of those older sledsw.

If the original jets are clean, I wouldn't use the aftermarket ones in the kits.
Any particular reasoning??

All jets and fuel screws in all 3 carbs look rather worn. Without knowing for sure how close to original spec they are at this point, I'm going to use the kit components for the time being. If need be, I will order OEM parts to replace the kit parts. I ordered the kits from Dennis Kirk for ease of getting all of that stuff in one package.

The carbs themselves were pretty damn clean. I didn't see any varnish build-up from having been stored badly. PO seemed to have taken decent care of the sled. (This will be my 3rd winter with it.)

Any particular reasoning??

All jets and fuel screws in all 3 carbs look rather worn. Without knowing for sure how close to original spec they are at this point, I'm going to use the kit components for the time being. If need be, I will order OEM parts to replace the kit parts. I ordered the kits from Dennis Kirk for ease of getting all of that stuff in one package.

The carbs themselves were pretty damn clean. I didn't see any varnish build-up from having been stored badly. PO seemed to have taken decent care of the sled. (This will be my 3rd winter with it.)
Define 'rather worn'?
Main jets and pilot jets really never need to be replaced unless they were tarnished so badly as to cause damage which can happen if a machine sits for years and fuel in carbs go very bad.
If your sled has many miles you should change the main nozzle(also refered to as needle jets) as they do wear out at the top over time and cause fuel mileage to get worse as well as mid range loading up.

Back