High km Venture 600 a good buy, when to rebuild triple?

Drwe

My brother is looking at a clean 2002 venture 600 triple with 14000km. What is the outlook on this from a reliability standpoint (assuming good compression)?

I have a '98 vmax 700 triple with "5900mi" on the speedo (which wasn't working at time of purchase a year ago) has good compression and runs well.

I am mechanically inclined but I have not done significant engine work before. My understanding is that pistons and rings are the first to go in these two strokes usually. Where are people typically purchasing top end rebuild kits from (Canada)? Are people doing pistons and rings preemptively or once performance begins to decline or a certain milage is reached? Is it worth tearing down to only install new rings at some point? I do have the service manual and could probably manage to get a rebuild done myself at some point when required. Out of curiosity, what would a dealer typically charge to rebuild a top end?

around the 10000 mi (16000 km) i would do a ring job on it so you do not have to do the pistons as as the piston rings wear/loose tension, the piston starts to rock in the bore and collapses the skirts causing them to break and messes up the bottom end. planning on doing dads 05 sx venture 700 around that time as i abosolutely do not want to do any crank work if i have any say in it. compression readings will still be good but i already know how expensive it is to get a new/rebuilt/used rotating assembly from brother needing to do it 13 years ago.

Back